LINKS TO JDM ISSUES

Steven_C

This comes up frequently, so I thought I'd post these...

FIRST OF ALL, GO TO "How to program a pic" LINK IN MENU ON www.ucapps.de then follow the next link...

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=troubleshooting;action=display;num=1040106004;start=2#2

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=troubleshooting;action=display;num=1042977205;start=2#2

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=troubleshooting;action=display;num=1040106004;start=10#10

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=troubleshooting;action=display;num=1056027618;start=1#1

also, make sure you have enabled the win2000 driver if you are using win2000...

Hey guys, I'm back with an update on my JDM.  Upon Thorsten's instance that it would be unlikely that the transistor had burnt out, I waited until I had an oppertunity to use my programmer on a different machine before I tore it apart.  So I finally tore myself away from campus this weekend and went home where I could re-test it.  My results are as follows:  IT STILL WORKS!!!  

Conclusions:  I know that the configuration settings in IC-Prog on my machine at school are still set up correctly as I had checked them on several occasions so I'm guessing that either I am forgetting a step on my computer or I somehow damaged my serial port on my motherboard with the latter being highly unlikely.  

I am running Win2K on my machine at school.  I have the 2000 driver installed for IC-Prog and it has worked in the past.  Tips, tricks, or advise would be appreciated, otherwise I will just do all of my programming from home as this semester is almost finished with anyway.    

Well, thanks for the input guys.  I am sure that I'll be back here before too long.  

Shawn  

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I solved a problem I had with IC-Prog and the JDM programmer kit I got from Talking Electronics when running Windows XP. I couldn't get the "official" IC-Prog NT driver to work for me, hence discovered this workaround solution.

In short: I use a device driver (totalio.sys) that gives total access to the I/O ports like the good old DOS/Win95 days. Solved problems I had using this JDM programmer with 2000/XP and buring PIC16F84 (but should in theory also work for other PICs since it's just an IC-Prog issue I had).

Go here to find instructions and required files:

http://www.talkingelectronics.com/FreeProjects/MultiChipPgmr/MultiChipPgmr-P3.html

Wilba

Finally had JDM programmer success last night.

I tried reusing my PIC16F84 JDM programmer without success, the programming voltage was too low even at I/O delay 1. (I was using I/O delay 10 with PIC16F84 chips.)

So I rebuilt the JDM programmer on an experimenters board according to circuit diagram on uCapps.de. (8.2v zener diode instead of 8.7v)

The programming voltage was less than desired and it didn't burn.

So I substituted the 8.2v zener with a 9.1v.

Still didn't work with I/O delay 1, but with I/O delay 10 it WORKS! Just thought people should know that a 9.1v zener works, and that a very low I/O delay might be a cause for failure.

TK: I suggest you update the JDM module page and mention using a 9.1v zener as a substitute. Also mention that a low I/O delay can introduce problems of its own - perhaps because I'm running a fast PC?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi All,

The JDM seems to be working now so I'm just posting a follow up. As I thought, the extremely low voltages were caused by a bad connection somewhere - a re-solder of the serial plug brought the voltages right up to a much closer level.

Following wilba's advice I upgraded the 8.2V zener to 9.1V. With the addition of the two 9V batteries I was getting close enough to the correct voltages.

When I tired to program the 18f452, i was getting a verified failed. Swapping to COM1 and a connection to SGND seemed to fix that problem (not sure which one it was as i did them both at the same time).

Now, the programming of the bootstrap loader seems to have worked - is therre any other way to verify that it burned correctly or is the "Verify after programming" enough?

Thanks all for your help, now that i've finished the JDM (with all the optional extras ) I can begin on the core module.

a quote from another thread

• 3 weeks later...

I think that it may be of interest to the forum to relate my experiences of trying to carry out the initial programming using my newest PC running on Win ME.

The JDM failed to successfully measure the MCLR voltage correctly.  This should be about 14V but measured -0.6V!.

I eventually switched to a discarded PC using Win 98 and the program worked and the program verified.

I also tried the same procedure with  B and W Laptop and although MCLR was a little lower it also worked.

I looks as if Win ME may suffer from the same problem as those with Win XP.

I would be interested in any comments.

Regards Robin

• 3 weeks later...

???

I have built the JDM programmer according to your schematics, My OS is window 2000 professional, i have install ic-prog driver for 2000/NT also.. However.. when i am programme the chip( PIC16F874A ), the error message "verify failed at 0000h" appear, and when i read the chip, the file is all 0.. also, the blank check function show "device NOT blank at 0000h" although the chip that i place is new chip.. :'(

another problem is when i click on "enable data out" at hardware test, that is nothing happen.. The Data In Box is still appear uncheck.. nothing happen, would this mean some part is wrong?? or ??  :-/

I have recheck the cirxuit board connection again and again, and read through the problem, but the problem still same :(.    May anyone give me a help??

Thanks for you kind !! :)

cck,

follow the same tips for getting a PIC16F877A to work. And here is another one...

to get PIC16F877A to work...

1) check all the recommended settings on TK's how to program page

2) check other posts on this thread if you still have problems

I installed both the recommended resistors

Required pulldown resistor for PIC18F452

http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=concepts;action=display;num=1061750589

and didn't want to go looking for two 9volt batteries late at night (don't want to wake up the family!) so instead of trying this http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=concepts;action=display;num=1061677417 I started tweaking settings instead, and found that...

in the I2C (I<squared>C) options page, checked "Enable MCLR as VCC" and then it worked! (I/O delay was 20, but other values are probably ok as well) I'm not sure what this does exactly, but it worked, so I'm happy! :)

I think it is a good idea if new questions are placed on a new thread, as otherwise this thread will become too large for confused beginners to navigate!

steven_c... u say:-

to get PIC16F877A to work...

1) check all the recommended settings on TK's how to program page

--------------------------------------

may i know link for 1 cause i cant find it at this forum.. i will try all the solution you recommend.. hope it will run..

Thanks for your kind and help!!

cck,

is you are sure that there's nothing wrong with the JDM itself u can try what i did:

1. run ic prog in win98 compatibility

2. download and run UserPort and configure it to give you direct port access

Ryan

P.S. I think its useless to try to program the chip it the hardware check failed (data in should be checked when u enable data out)

steven_c.. yup i think this question should be publish as new thread, sorry for my mistake... but since the question is post at here already, i think i should continue at here or?? ???

i can find the link in the first thread..

FIRST OF ALL, GO TO "How to program a pic" LINK IN MENU ON www.ucapps.de

not have  "How to program a pic" LINK IN MENU.. may you check that webpage again, probably it disminish it when updated.. i only can find the jdm link in that webpage..

to arumblack:

yup i have select the correct device-- PIC16F874A

to Ryan:

i will recheck the circuit board.. and replace the capacitor.. i doubt is it a component failure?? may you suggest some tips for me to test whether the component can work properly or not?? thanks...

Thanks for all  :)

hi cck,

check all the voltages on the PIC socket, refer to the Ho to program a PIC page for this. I you get a voltage reading very different from the ones prescribed you probably have a short or a bad component, recheck!

regarding component checking, you'll need a multimeter, search the net on how to check components (resistors, caps, diodes and transistors can be checked. you should have done it before soldering everything onto the board. it will be hard to desolder them and check so i suggest you make another board:) i made 3 myself before i had a working jdm! my JDM is on a protoboard (lots of jumpers! but it works:))

for Userport, check this link: http://www.writelog.com/support/lpt_port_support_on_windows_nt.htm

follow the instructions. you should enable the com port you are using (Control panel-->system--->device manager---> right click on the com port you want to use then click properties to see the HEX addresss of the port ypu want to use, you'll need this in userport) and ic prog should be running in compatibility with windows98/winME (right click on ic-prog.exe >>Properties-->compatibility) do a hardware check just like the one described in the how to program a PIC page. If u get voltage readings very different from the one prescribed you probably have a short or a bad component.

hope that helps

Regards,

Ryan

Dear Ryan &Steve_c and all;

i have check all component it is ok... now i have get something strange...

1. when i open ic-prog( setting: JDM programmer, win api, IO delay 0, enable vcc control for jdm, enable 2000 driver).. i have using userport already. when i click enable data out in hardware check, measurement for voltage between Vss and RB7 is negative value.. the data-in box also keep uncheck.

2. when i uncheck enable data out in ic-prog, i open hyper terminal in window, and then try to connect, the data in box become toggle, voltage measurement in vss and rb7 is around +5v.. which is correct setting..

By the test above, may i know while it cause bt ic-prog failure??? how can i solve it and any suggestion??

hi cck,

ok... try this

Right click on ic-prog.exe click properties ----> compatibility tab ---> check the "run in compatibility with" box then choose windows 98/winME. Then start ic prog, when u click on the options---> Misc menu, the option for winnt driver should be gray. also use direct i/o and set i/o delay to around 10.

also make sure that you enabled the correct port on Userport, on my pc its 03F8-03FF for COM1, it could be different in your machine thou.

run a hardware check again and let us know what happens

cheers!

Ryan

Dear ryan,

userport setting is correct and have start..

i have try the setting u say oleri.. however.. it still fail... the version of ic-prog that i use is 1.05c

i am gonna try the old version of ic-prog.. if still failed, i will try at another system(dell pc with window 98)...

if still failes.. then i also dunno how  :'(

any suggestion from you??