Looking for new Linux distro

madox

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a new Linux distribution for my home computer; I know there is a number of Linux users here, so thought I would ask for some advice.

I had been using Ubuntu for a while, then tried Ubuntu Studio, as I wanted to play with some music software. I found the studio edition very buggy, though it was mostly able to run soft synths well enough. I didn't manage to use my GM5 with it.

I am using Xubuntu atm, which seems OK.

I was just wondering what distributions people use for computer music with Linux?

I like to use Linux for my daily computing needs, and appreciate it's robustness. If I could successfully use the same distro for music too, that would be really nice. Although I have done some programming in Linux environments, I am still really a noob. I am also looking to further develop my programming skills this year, focussing on C and C++.

Any suggestions or comments would be well received.

Cheers,

madox

• 1 month later...

The reasonable choise is Fedora + CCRMA repos, don t get the latest version go back 1 or 2 versions.

The activist choice would be dynebolic.

Have fun

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'll check these out.

Cheers

I'm a big fan of puredyne, I gave up with Planet CCRMA after I came across it. I have used it a portable OS and also installed to a partition. However, I must confess I haven't ever used it for any of my Midibox stuff, my Mac does that :)

Puredyne is a really stable distro and is focussed on media artists type thangs (Processing, PureData etc).

I would recommend doing a bit of digging through the mailing list archives to make sure your audio hardware will be compatible with it first though (I got caught out with a Firewire interface last year, seemed that USB was the way to go...).

HTH

David

Debian.

It is very flexible. I use it for everything.

If you want all the newest stuff in music software, have a Computer with much processing Power, and time to setup and fine tune a music production system, Gentoo with the Pro Audio Overlay might be a good choice.

... I see wide agreement here.. I think these days things can change really quickly so I may have to point out that I haven t used Linux for audio for over one year, so my advice "may" be outdated, yet I reckon the CCRMA packages/mailing list being very solid and decently updated. Being Linux the modular beast it is, a distro can be better than another also depending on the way you use it and your needs.