Wiki's Captcha is evil for registered users

Do we really need a Captcha for registered Wiki users? Shouldn't the registration process just be more thorough? Reason I ask is the damn thing is pretty hard to read and you have to do it every single time a page is modified. It's the only Wiki I have used to date that does this. I don't see the value in it is users are required to register before modifying any content. The forum does not have Captcha's for instance (Please please PLEASE do not add one!).

Just my $0.02 but Wiki participation might be better if it was easier to modify pages.

Just my $0.02 but Wiki participation might be better if it was easier to modify pages.

Not sure about this assumption. At first, I was also thinking that it would be very bothersome to enter the codes every time for every little change. After a while I realized that it actually forces you to be more structured, and to do it right the first time. This in fact I regard as very positive.

If you really have something to say that needs to go in the Wiki, the captcha won't keep you from putting it there.

I disagree, but then again, that is what makes Wikis so nice since it's all about free flow. For you, it might not be a big deal. For me, it is. I can say with certainty that I would actually keep my pages updated more often if it were not for that CAPTCHA. It spoils the otherwise awesome experience. Again, in my opinion.

Well, remove the captcha but only allow users with verified e-mails to post to the Wiki. Seems like that should do the trick.

Either way, I'd be ok replacing the Captcha with something easier to read - such as a simple math problem or something like that. That would be an ok compromise for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure about this assumption. At first, I was also thinking that it would be very bothersome to enter the codes every time for every little change. After a while I realized that it actually forces you to be more structured, and to do it right the first time. This in fact I regard as very positive.

If you really have something to say that needs to go in the Wiki, the captcha won't keep you from putting it there.

BAH

and +1 to the OP.

Isnt the captcha for registration enough to prevent spam?