TK.

MIDIbox Guru

• Administrators
  • 13,247 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 May 2010 - 23:56

Wow! Now it becomes interesting! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.
Posted Image Buy TK a Beer Disclaimer: buying TK a beer gets you absolutely nothing in return likesuchas firmware enhancements, technical advices and MIDIbox troubleshooting assistance.

#22 findbuddha

findbuddha

MIDIbox Tweaker

• Programmer
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 18 May 2010 - 01:16

TK, as the only person who has both the big BLM and the SEQ, do you think this is the optimal layout?

Of course the extra encoders are optional, and could be replaced with each individuals choice of encoders/pots/buttons/faders. But at least it will settle the layout for the main SEQ panel.

#23 TK.

TK.

MIDIbox Guru

• Administrators
  • 13,247 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 May 2010 - 22:22

The construction looks very similar to my setup, with one exception: since MBSEQ frontpanel and BLM are separated, my solution is easier to transport. And I can remove the BLM if I need some free place at the desk for something else.

In order to connect BLM to my MBSEQ I will use a single cable for MIDI IO and power supply.
With optocouplers instead of TTL level digital IO the allowed cable length is ca. 10 m! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.
Posted Image Buy TK a Beer Disclaimer: buying TK a beer gets you absolutely nothing in return likesuchas firmware enhancements, technical advices and MIDIbox troubleshooting assistance.

#24 flip

flip

MIDIbox Addict

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 15:09

I love the idea of the tilted sequencer on top of the BLM. That's the right direction!

#25 Schrittmacher

Schrittmacher

MIDIbox Addict

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 00:00

More panel size, power consumption, transmission issues and redundancy but:

Two duplicate LCDs, one by the GP encs, one by the BLM?

Yes, i have the same Idea! Would gives more oversize.

Is there a Problem to duplicate the LCD´s? How long can be the Wires to the external Box?

Servus,
I have nothing, but the force is with me.

#26 findbuddha

findbuddha

MIDIbox Tweaker

• Programmer
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 02:30

Maybe it would be more practical/functional to have the BLM LCDs running from the BLM core?

I still don't want duplicate LCDs for myself though :)

#27 TK.

TK.

MIDIbox Guru

• Administrators
  • 13,247 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 May 2010 - 23:37

Duplicating LCD connections isn't possible, not at least because of the increased cable impedance (I tried this some time ago and noticed very bad results)

I don't plan to add LCD output support to MBBLM because this would slow down the performance too much.
Currently the performance is great, I don't want to make it bad by adding such minor features.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

#28 consumer

consumer

MIDIbox Newbie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 18:40

findbuddha,
I greatly appreciate the effort you've put into this. I'd like to help to further this project by designing a compatible Ponoko case.
I have a couple questions though:

Did you take into account Wilba's suggestions found :here? Do you agree with them? -If so I think I can pretty quickly modify the dimensions of cutouts to be more "Ponoko sloppy."

Anyone out there have suggestions about the case dimensions, especially depth? As I begin to mock it up in SketchUp things are pretty tight with Wilba's suggested minimum clearance for height.

-Attached is a very first pass of the 19" version in SketchUp; a massing model++ simply to get a feel for it. More to come.

Thanks everybody, you are all constantly inspiring!!

Attached Files

#29 findbuddha

findbuddha

MIDIbox Tweaker

• Programmer
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 04:12

I did alter the dimensions of the LCD cut-out and the matching clear panel, in line with Wilba's suggestion.

I'd be cautious rack mounting using the acrylic - I don't know how strong it is?

I'd also suggest anyone using/modifying the files I've posted in this thread to check things over, as I've sold my Seq CS PCB (to make my own, more suited to me), and won't be using this design as posted. :)

#30 taximan

taximan

MIDIbox Addict

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationSheffield UK

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:49

Hiya,
Could anyone please tell me if the centers of the buttons have been decided upon yet?

I have just received some bits and pieces to start fiddling around with a cs,if I have this right the cs needs to be 17 x 17 buttons,but I would like the buttons to match any pcb's that might be made available.

cheers
Paul

#31 findbuddha

findbuddha

MIDIbox Tweaker

• Programmer
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:52

My PCBs will be using 6mm switches, probably either E-Switch TL1105BF100Q or Panasonic Light Touch Switch EVQ-PAC09K.

For my planned DIY illuminated setup, the switch actuators will need to be the correct height. I'll be getting a small PCB and ponoko panel/buttons done up to test the concept.

Here's my current ponderings (stuff on the right hand side is for a mixer/LC):

Attached File  big.jpg   292.53K   107 downloads
Attached File  zoom.jpg   18.47K   97 downloads

Any suggestions?

:)