MIDIbox of the Week (MIDIbox CV of Altitude)

Altitude

This was a side build that I was working for a long time and finally got motivated and finished this up. This is the MAX525 based CV. I etched a simple DIN1x with tact switches for the controls and packed everything into a chopped Hammond extruded enclosure. I had originally intended to put a bi-polar supply inside the case based on a PCB mount Amveco transformer but even with the original longer case, it was crazy tight for mains wiring so I opted for a regulated Elpac AC adapter which has a 0.6A +5 and 160 mA +/- 12 rails. This solved the space problem (at least in the case, the adapter is pretty big) and actually allowed me to cut the case down for a smaller package. The labeling is self done inkjet printable vinyl. The results are not to spectacular and this was my first go with the stuff. I have had much better results once I worked with it some more but did not feel like redoing this.

Inside:

post-3579-127183605038_thumb.jpg

My DIN1x board and LCD mounting:

post-3579-127183605945_thumb.jpg

The Case:

post-3579-127183606696_thumb.jpg

post-3579-127183607626_thumb.jpg

post-3579-127183608429_thumb.jpg

Thanks to TK & company for the great project!

Edited by nILS
Moved to MBOTW and attached the pictures

WOW!! :o Another MidiBox that actually looks like it belongs in studio. I really like where we're going in terms of professionalism.

BTW, I'm really digging those DIN5 jacks. They appear to be panel mount and have a nice finished look to them once they're mounted. Where did you get them from?

Great job, Alt!

I'd like to know more about the inkjet printable vinyl... how you achieved white on black etc. Maybe a brand or source would be cool too. I want to try something like this on some Cherry MX keyswitch caps, only on the side of the key where it won't wear off, though maybe a second layer of clear vinyl might let me put it on the top too.

WOW!! :o Another MidiBox that actually looks like it belongs in studio. I really like where we're going in terms of professionalism.

BTW, I'm really digging those DIN5 jacks. They appear to be panel mount and have a nice finished look to them once they're mounted. Where did you get them from?

Those are the Deltron Din jacks (both the midi and power). They are available in black and silver also.

The classic style is used for power (same DIN5 as midi, had to make this not confusing, dont want to accidentally plug my power into a midi port.) is Deltron 16HR635

The round ones are: Deltron 651

Neither of them are cheap but they are very high quality so for me it's worth it.

Hi,

Very fine job.

It looks very professional.

I'm interested to the vinyl for inkjet too.

Where You found it?

regards

Antix

The vinyl is this stuff. It is fairly thick but reasonably easy to cut. It sticks like CRAZY though. I used it on my WTPA sampler and made a mistake the first time around and had to remove the label. It was a nightmare to get off, acetone, MEK, heat, practically nothing even made a dent to it. I eventually used a grinder with a stainless steel brush to get it all off. Printing is just like photo paper but it will bleed if you give it too much ink. It comes in white so if you want black, you just have to print in black. A "normal paper" setting on my Canon worked well for me so it was not that hard on the ink. The thing I am not too crazy about is the fact that it is super matte when printed and I have not found a good way to gloss up the finish (tried semi gloss sprays with mediocre results). Also, the trick to applying this stuff since air bubbles are a big problem is to spray the adhesive side with some water with a couple of drops of dish soap. This allows you to slide it around your panel into position but more importantly, you can roll out all the air from underneath it with a roller or squeegee.

Great job, Alt!

I'd like to know more about the inkjet printable vinyl... how you achieved white on black etc. Maybe a brand or source would be cool too. I want to try something like this on some Cherry MX keyswitch caps, only on the side of the key where it won't wear off, though maybe a second layer of clear vinyl might let me put it on the top too.

White on black is simply print black and the white is what's left. Key caps should work fine, the paper is super durable and water proof but a clear coat probably would be a good idea. Just make sure that you cut it out before you apply it to anything, since it is so thick cutting it after you apply it is difficult and it is easy to make angled cuts into it that leave a torn appearance

Edited by Altitude

Thanks Alt... regarding asking how you did white, I was getting confused, as I'd checked out the transparent stuff before. I might try the laser printer stuff since I inherited a big colour laser printer.

Good idea. Kinkos around here (print/copy chain) has very nice laser printers that they will print on whatever you want. I did my 9090 like that on to lasertran but this would be a good option also..