Can a 64E be built without a single DOUT module?

Nihistal

Hey, I just created an account cuz I've always been extremely interested in building one of these things.

I am possibly getting the parts to build this or an i7 and new motherboard and ram for my graduation present, and I thought I'd do a little research to help figure out how to go about building a Midibox 64e.

I am wondering if it is possible to build a Midibox 64e without any DOUT modules.

Sounds absurd? I don't really care much for having LEDs and I don't know of any other uses for the DOUT module. The reason i would like to go with the 64e instead of the normal 64 is cuz with the 64e I would be able to use encoders and I think that would be a really useful thing to have.

So is this possible? And if it is am I being an idiot for considering not using them?

Thanks for the help in advance

-Connor

(If someone says "GOOGLE" or "SEARCH FUNCTION" I already tried both for about 30 minutes lol)

leds are optional not a requirement.

also if you had gone here: http://ucapps.de/midibox16e.html ignore the 16e bit as this is the 64e section its just a link name that needs to be changed on the ucapps site. and if you scroll down it states:

How many LEDs should I use?

It has to be differentiated between the LEDs assigned to the buttons and the LEDrings assigned to the rotary encoders.

LEDrings are nice-to-have, but no must. Every LEDring can consist of up to 16 LEDs, the appr. pattern can be defined with the vmidibox editor or with the mk_syx.pl script. I'm using 11 LEDs for every LEDring, and they are connected to the DOUT module like shown in this diagram.

Also the LEDs assigned to the buttons are nice-to-have, but no must. They can either indicate the status of the button (especially usefull if the button is in toggle mode), or they can be controlled via MIDI (-> native MIDI remote support). See also this schematic.

Edited by ssp