MIDIO128 power requirements

Astazou

Hi,

I'm about to start midifying an old analog organ console. I'm already comitted to MIDIbox, even if the hardware (from SmashTV) has been sitting unopened on my desk for the last 5 months :o(

The console is 3 61-key keyboards , 32 keys pedalboard, and room for 96 switches & buttons.

I plan to use MIDIO128, just to avoid too much programming. My first goal is to have at home a practice instrument.

My setup will use 3 PIC COREs, 10 DINs and when finished 3 DOUTs to drive feedback LEDS for the stops and the presets.

I might add an LCD display for troubleshooting purposes.

I know it is a big project, and I hope to have 2keyboards plus pedalboard operational by year's end.

I still have to purchase some components like flat cable, DIL connectors, and power supply.

My question is : is a 9 VDC / 1A unregulated power supply enough to sustain 3 MIDIO128 and 1 LCD?

AFAIK a 9 VDC / 1A unregulated power supply should be enough to sustain 3 MIDIO128 and 1 LCD. I won't do any damage if it is not. In general, I strongly recommend adding the LCD display to the first Core you build. If the power supply is not adequate, you'll see the display getting flaky. A quick check of the voltage on the 5V regulated side will tell you if you have run out of power. If you do, just add a second supply for one of the three MidiBoxes.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the store last week. They wanted to sell a switching PSU. Is it useable for MIDIO128 only, or should I purchase a more "classic" one ?

I'll go back there next wednesday to collect my order.

I'm certainly no expert on power supplies. I think I've heard that switchers are fussy about the load on the output. Too little load and they can't maintain the correct voltage. A switcher will be more energy efficient but if it were me, I'd just stick with the tried and true unregulated wall wart of adequate capacity (usually a cast off from some old piece of gear that conked out).