MB-6582 LCD wiring question

Labelwhore

I figured that was the case. Thanks a lot for confirming my suspicion :) I searched ucapps, the wiki, and the forums for about an hour and a half last night and couldn't find anything that would confirm that for me.

...another stupid but related question ;) do I wire up my LCD like a 4 bit display in the same way I would with the standard core? or use all 8 data lines? again, sorry for the stupid question but I come from the school that believes the only truly stupid question is the one that goes unasked.

Edited by Labelwhore

There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. :wink:

Quote from here:

*Note* Please see Wilbas post here, for advice on how to connect the LCD to the control surface.

It doesn't go into specifics of the 4-bit vs. 8-bit thing.

Since the two PIC18F4685 pins for the CAN bus are the same as have been used by MIDIbox Core modules for J15, then by default, MIOS on PIC18F4685 uses 4-bit. Conveniently, this means you only need to leave four pins of J15 open and then the same cable you would use for 8-bit will also work... i.e. if the unused 4 data lines are left open at Core:J15, then the LCD will work in 4-bit mode. This is what I've done on the MB-6582 PCB.

So you should just make the cable as if it's intended for 8-bit, according to the "older" wiring diagrams. Since you'll probably be using a 16-wire ribbon cable anyway, it doesn't make much difference, and it's easier to follow the wiring diagram if you forget about which four wires won't be used.

• 3 years later...

I have a question regarding the pin numbering of J15 on Rev 2 boards (only saying that in case it's relevant - I don't have a Rev 1 to compare)

The information and Jim's PDF suggest that the numbering of the pins on J15 goes in a left-right sequence:

1 - 2

3 - 4

5 - 6

15 - 16

whereas on the PCB the pins have numbers on them, #1 being the pin closest to the top-right of the core PIC then #8 being the corner below that, #9 being opposite and #16 in the opposite corner:

1    9

...  ...

8    16

which doesn't match up with the pins show in Jim's PDF.

Which is the right pin layout for J15 (Rev2)? Jim's PDF or the unusual numbering system suggested on the board printing?

Thanks,

Neil

(Oh, yeah, of course, I followed Jim's wiring and I'm just getting two rows of white squares on my LCD, hence the question. The contrast and brightness trimmers work so something is connected up right  :smile: )