MIDIbox Of The Week (Phunk-Box: MB64e of Phunk)

phunk

Hey guys,

i´d like to show you my Midibox i built the last weeks and finished today.

It is an ordinary MB64e with a Schaeffer panel and a black walnut case.

It features 24 encoders and 12 buttons to control my drumsynthesizers microtonic and drumaxx.

Anyway I like it slick and clean, I like wood and I like geometry :p.

I tried to keep the device as low as possible with monome as inspiration. Therefore

i constructed everything in CAD beforehands to avoid suprises during assembly.

I decided to not go for a PCB but tried to keep the wiring mess as "clean" as possible.

Here are a few CAD Renderings:

Box overview:

gallery_4776_55_38360.jpg

Frontpanel construction:

gallery_4776_55_84146.jpg

Inside:

gallery_4776_55_114589.jpg

Left cut, very little space due to the height of the box.

gallery_4776_55_29218.jpg

that's just gorgeous, work of art..

the CAD renders already look really nice.. what app did you use? hard to learn?

I use Solidworks for constructing. It´s my favourite CAD app and compared to a few others relatively easy to learn.

Nervertheless are CAD apps very time consuming. Rendering is done with photoview360, which is part of the package.

If you like to achieve more photorealism you could import it directly to luxology modo and render it there but you could

easily spend a life only with finding the right settings...

Awesome.

How you you make the wood parts? (especially the bevel). I want to make stuff out of wood but I am clueless.

The case is made out of four parts which were cut to 45 degree angle at the ends first and then glued.

After that you would normally build a "frame" around the case so that you have a large enough area to apply your

router on. The bevel is then made with the router.

You could probably made it with a dremel and the milling cap too...but i havent tried that yet.

Cleanest version would be the use of a cnc router but i havent one. Would be nice though coz i could feed it

directly from my CAD.

Inside pics:

gallery_4776_55_163073.jpg

gallery_4776_55_35584.jpg

gallery_4776_55_109345.jpg

Edited by phunk

The case is made out of four parts which were cut to 45 degree angle at the ends first and then glued.

WOHHHHH!!!! AWESOME WOODWORK!!!

Cleanest version would be the use of a cnc router but i havent one. Would be nice though coz i could feed it

directly from my CAD.

I do have a CNC Router, that I built myself (see the timber on the prophet 5 project) ... To be honest you wouldn't get your woodwork any cleaner looking than you do by hand. You still have to hand finish it.

The only advantage the CNC Router gives you is mm accurate repeatability. So if you were to want to build 50 cases, and have them all the same, then you could set up the machine and feed it the raw material.

But the finished result isn't going to look any better than your hand work... That is beautiful. In some ways CNC would detract from that, because it's not then a totally hand made item of unique quality.

Nice work, really nice work, I love it! It just doesn't get any better than that, no matter how you make it.

Best Regards,

Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Edited by Fozzy The Bear

(more concise) why move to trash?

nice woodwork ;) one way to get the step in the wood other than using a router is to have a table saw and then you lower the blade to the cut depth you require and then move the guide bar to the cut width you require then pass it through the saw, this gives you a really nice step cut in the wood.

very nice work though! :thumbsup:

Edited by ssp