Can I chain pots like this?

MONSTA

Hey everyone,

I'm etching some boards for my project and wondered if I could chain pots like this:

potDiagram.gif

I originally made this board double sided so I didn't have to chain them together, but this would be much better for me if it works.

On a related note, I have these pots from sparkfun, if you face them towards you with the pins at the top, am I correct in saying that Vd is on the left and Vs on the right (to fit the board above)?

Thanks for any help

Monsta

P.s. I have created an instructable on how to make double sided PCBs at home if anyone is interested:

http://www.monstamusic.co.uk/2010/06/how-to-diy-pcbs/

Hi.

No sorry that won't work. For POTs to work in an AIN module, the tracks of all of the POTs must be connected in parallel with the wiper (usually the middle pin) going to the AIN input port, Your PCB has them all connected in series which means you would get some pretty wacky results :)

With regard to which way round you connect them, generally it depends on how you want it to work. The left and right pins of a POT are just a simple resistor so if you want a higher voltage to appear at the AIN port when you turn it clockwise then put Vd on the right hand pin, if you want a higher voltage when you turn it anti-clockwise, put Vd on the left hand pin!

Cheers

Phil

Wicked, thanks man!

Ok so my old board should be ok then, which means I can just switch the Vs/Vd around as I please.

I guess I'd want the voltage to increase as I turn the knob Clockwise, but I'm presuming I can just invert this in software anyway.

I'll get it all etch up tomorrow!

Cheers

Monsta