ffc extension

syamajala

Depends on what you have available to you. It's certainly not 'easy' given the pitch.

Here is what I would do in order of preference (and therefore, the easiest/most expensive first)

1)Buy two FFC sockets, an FFC cable to match the one you have, and buy/make a PCB.

This is a simple cable -> socket <PCB> socket -> FFC cable.

2)The above without the second cable. FFC cable 'can' be soldered to a PCB if its polyamide (yellowy brown stuff), so you could get a 0.5mm pitch PCB adapter originally used for IC's (tqfp100, or TSSOP) its not easy but not as hard as you think. Tin the pads on the PCB, remove the excess with solder wick. Cover in flux, and with a heavily tinned iron, go across each pad so it has a 'bit' of solder, a small raised bump on each pad. Put the FFC cable face down on the connections, and gently heat the back with your iron, or preferably, a hot air reworkstation.

3)Most difficult: buy ONE socket, solder wires to the socket, and the other end of the wires to an easier socket,

such as a standard IDC connector, or perhaps a 0.1" (2.54mm) pin header.

I guess it all depends on what you want to connect this cable to, original equipment? or your own custom made stuff? Also note, any combination of the above options is possible, its just a question or money, time and skill :) Ebay has plenty of very cheap PCB SMT adapters for which you can connect your flex cable socket too, and break it out to a DIP for a header or just wires.

BuriedCode (yes, I missspelled my name in the forum!)