Data sent to a custom built controll surface

Hello people, lil bit of guidance required please.... I'm in the process of designing a pretty simple usb midi controll surface built around a core32 module to use with ableton live 8, and there's one thing i cant get my head around yet... i understand about mapping inputs eg.. faders/sliders/knobs and what-not but am unsure of were i get my output data to drive the various indicator LEDs that i see everyone using ??? eg beat indicator / incicators for which scene/track is playing / data to drive a tripple 7 segment led for bpm / level data for a VU.....can it be done from inside ableton or does it get a bit heavier than that ?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, and welcome.

This thread would have been better posted in Midibox HUI's as that is what its about in fact.

You need to check what control surfaces are supported by Ableton. The control surface support in the host uses a proprietary protocol for transmitting (and receiving) the display info you mention. In other words it isn't standard like midi (although the data itself may be communicated using midi events). Have a look at Midibox LC and other info in the forum Midibox HUI section to see whats possible.