Confused Re 2xLC

Lu Taska

So I've spent some time doing some reading, and I beleive that in the coming weeks I'll be ready to start my project.

The plan is to have a 16channel motor fader board plus one master fader. By my understanding and calculations I will need the following:

3x PIC18F452 cores - 8 faders max on each core, therefore I need three. Right?

4x 2x40 character LCDs

6x DOUTX4s

3x Motorfaders (right? 8+8+1?)

Here is where I am getting confused. I've crudely worked out that I need 6 DINx4s with the following logic:

Since I only need a single master section, a 2 LC design doesn't need twice the buttons that 2 single LCs would have.

And, as aach extra channel contributes four switches, an extra eight channels will contribute 32 switches.

Therefore i should only need an extra two DINx4s right?

Also, do these three cores connect individually or are they chained somehow? And on extension, how many LTCs will i need? One or three?

Thanks for your help. I'll keep looking over Axel's posts while I wait for replies :P.

Hi Lu Taska

Yes, for your Master Fader, you need an additional core - Do you really need a Master? - Think about it.

Regarding the MF-Boards I would suggest, that you take 2 and the single Master Fader you build just partially on a stripboard.

Regarding the DIN/DOUT boards you see it correct but I don't feel for counting it through.

Regarding the connection of the units, it depends on your host soft. In Sequoia I would connect the master-unit as an independent unit on its own midi port. If you want to connect it together with an 8-fader unit onto one port and handle it as the "master"-controller, you probably have to make use of MidiBox-Link.

About how many LTCs - Go for one GM5

Greets, Roger

Hi Lu Taska

Yes, for your Master Fader, you need an additional core - Do you really need a Master? - Think about it.

Regarding the MF-Boards I would suggest, that you take 2 and the single Master Fader you build just partially on a stripboard.

Regarding the DIN/DOUT boards you see it correct but I don't feel for counting it through.

Regarding the connection of the units, it depends on your host soft. In Sequoia I would connect the master-unit as an independent unit on its own midi port. If you want to connect it together with an 8-fader unit onto one port and handle it as the "master"-controller, you probably have to make use of MidiBox-Link.

About how many LTCs - Go for one GM5

Greets, Roger

I am also busy with a project like this & will need 3 cores for the faders.

If I have this correct, to connect all cores with my computer (I use ProTools on a MAC), I will need for each core a seperate MIDI port.

That means 6 cables, 3xIN and 3xOUT.

Is that correct?

thx

Edited by SNG

That means 6 cables, 2xIN and 2xOUT.

... what now? :rolleyes:

The answer you see in my previous post above:

"Regarding the connection of the units, it depends on your host soft. In Sequoia I would connect the master-unit as an independent unit on its own midi port. If you want to connect it together with an 8-fader unit onto one port and handle it as the "master"-controller, you probably have to make use of MidiBox-Link."

Greets, Roger

Which GM5 will I need?

The 5/5 or the 1/1?

the 5/5 as you use 3 cores and need at least 3 MIDI connections...

good to have 2 reserve for later expansions.... or you can use the 4th port for the master fader as suggested by Roger :)

I will not use a separate master fader as each fader on my master panel can function as the master fader... we all have our own preferences :))))

I have just calculated that I need for all my VU LED panels an separate core and 4xDOUT4.... is it possible to use a link or LTC to guide the signal through an another core...???

Which GM5 will I need?

The 5/5 or the 1/1?

The gm5 (which is the fun little IC) is always a 5/5. I think you're referring to the PCB: single IO PCB with the possibility to extend (which is what TK sells) or the gm5x5x5 (which is what I sell).

The gm5 (which is the fun little IC) is always a 5/5. I think you're referring to the PCB: single IO PCB with the possibility to extend (which is what TK sells) or the gm5x5x5 (which is what I sell).

How can I get this gm5x5x5 pcb? Is it supplied with the GM5 chip?