V4 with VFD's

Futureman

It's been a while since I've hung around here... I hope all is well with everyone?

I finally finished off my other DIY projects (2x Mnats 1176's Rev D's) / repairs / Still renovating / Baby on the way.

I started assembled my Core32 and pulled my finger out and wired up some of the NOS VFD's I bought ages ago.

THEY LOOK LIKE SEX.

I'll be using them in a SEQV4, and getting a panel laser cut up..

Here's a pic of the VFD's up close.. although it's hard on my crappy camera to convey how cool these screens look.. Straight out of 1986.

Regards

Mike

post-5534-024249500 1281021369_thumb.jpg

post-5534-007882700 1281021463_thumb.jpg

Edited by Futureman

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Futureman,

moar pictures please, as your V4 is now finished, as I read ;-)) Big thanks and congratz on that!

Btw., after a long research for filters available for 40x2 VFDs, I found a tip on a modder forum to use "lighting gels" used for stage and theater equpiment, also available from amazon. They should also work, are available for everyone (not only commercial buyers) and are quite cheap and big enough for the 40x2 screens.

And another question: how did you solve the power problem? The two VFDs should draw a lot of current on the 5V chain, as T.K. said... Did you use an external power source? Would be very interested in your power supply setup, as I want to build a VFDSeqV4 myself :-), will also document it... Thx!

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

Yep.. pics will come soon.

As for power.. I took the 5v regulator off the board and connected it to a massive (10cm x 4cm x 4cm) heat sink.

I was pleasently surprised how cool it runs now.. even after a few hours on, the heatsink feels only slightly warm.

I work as a AV tech, so gels are easy to come by. They are basically thick heat resistant coloured plastic in many colours. but to be honest, the green glow of these vfd's fit nicely with the green buttons i used and the green backlighting on the laser cut text.

Cheers