Core32 vs. MBHP_CORE_STM32 IO Test

Underskor

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my Core32 board*. I've put the MBHP_Core_STM32 IO Test app on it, and I'm getting the following messages:

====================================

Testing GPIO Pins for shorts/bridges

Push-Pull Toggle Test found 0 errors

Toggle PC15 H->L FAILED

Pull-Down/Up Toggle Test found 1 errors

Running-1 Test found 0 errors

Running-0 Test found 0 errors

Test found 1 errors

[MIOS32_MIDI_Receive_Handler] Timeout on port 0x20

[MIOS32_MIDI_Receive_Handler] Timeout on port 0x21

I had a quick look through the test app source code, but I couldn't see anything that suggested what this means exactly. Is there a page that lists what these errors mean (in a more noob-friendly format :))?

*Connected to MIOS Studio, uploaded the MIOS32 SRIO Demo app, but no note events were received after triggering DINs. Have checked the soldering of both boards (swapped out DIN board for a different one as well) but can't see any obvious issues.

Hi,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my Core32 board*. I've put the MBHP_Core_STM32 IO Test app on it, and I'm getting the following messages:

I had a quick look through the test app source code, but I couldn't see anything that suggested what this means exactly. Is there a page that lists what these errors mean (in a more noob-friendly format :))?

*Connected to MIOS Studio, uploaded the MIOS32 SRIO Demo app, but no note events were received after triggering DINs. Have checked the soldering of both boards (swapped out DIN board for a different one as well) but can't see any obvious issues.

Hi Underskor,

If I saw this I would be referring to the STM32 chip datasheet along with the CORE32 design to see which Jxx connector the processor pin PC15 actually connects to. This should narrow down the search for shorts. Can you run the test without any other peripherals connected?

As the readme.txt for the stm32 troubleshooting app says:

Ensure that no external module/device is connected to the board while

the test is running (no JTAG Wiggler, no MIDI cables, no LCD, no SD Card, no pots, etc...)

I am pretty sure this means DIN modules as well :) Try disconnecting any modules and just run with the CORE32.

Having said that, PC15 (Port C, Pin 15) is connected to J16:RC2 which is on the SDCARD/Ethernet port so I would double (and triple) check that there are no shorts. Try a multimeter in continuity mode and check between J16:RC2 and all adjacent pins for any shorts/solder bridges. That failed test suggests that the pin may be shorted to Vdd.

Cheers

Phil

• 4 months later...

As the readme.txt for the stm32 troubleshooting app says:

I am pretty sure this means DIN modules as well :) Try disconnecting any modules and just run with the CORE32.

Thanks for your replies, guys! Only just had a chance to sit down and play around. Did as instructed and am still having issues.

Having said that, PC15 (Port C, Pin 15) is connected to J16:RC2 which is on the SDCARD/Ethernet port so I would double (and triple) check that there are no shorts. Try a multimeter in continuity mode and check between J16:RC2 and all adjacent pins for any shorts/solder bridges. That failed test suggests that the pin may be shorted to Vdd.

Having done a bunch of testing for shorts, J16:RC2 to IC1:PC15 seems fine. Checked with multimeter, magnifying glass and cleaned with brush + compressed air. Still getting the same error. However I have noticed that if I remove R31, I receive no errors (yes it is in the correct way:)). RC2 to RC1, S0, S1 and SC all report 2k, which I think is normal? What should I try next?

Thanks again!

However I have noticed that if I remove R31, I receive no errors (yes it is in the correct way:)).
Just to be clear did you mean to say R30? If not troubleshooting will need to take a different path....

The test app is meant to run on a bare board, so even with -only- the STM chip and R30 on the board the test will fail.

I'm a bit distracted today with other stuff so instead of a support drive-by spouting theory I tossed a fresh Core32 on the pinbed and loaded the test app, got a pass, dropped in a 1kΩ array @ R30, and got a fail. Always fun when practice takes less time than theory. :)

RC2 to RC1, S0, S1 and SC all report 2k, which I think is normal?
Completely normal. Your meter is seeing two of the 1kΩ resistors in the array.

Is the DIN board from me? Is it wired via SIL/single row connector by chance?

Best regards

Tim

Just to be clear did you mean to say R30? If not troubleshooting will need to take a different path....

My mistake! Yes I did mean R30. Sorry about that.

Is the DIN board from me? Is it wired via SIL/single row connector by chance?

Yep, from you. Originally I had the DIL connected, but have since read and connected it as such.

I put the SRIO Demo app back on, and whenever I touch a DIN pin (eg. J3:Vs OR J3:D0), I get an APP_DIN_NotifyToggle() 1 through 127. All 127 toggle between 0 and 1 each time.

I may have misunderstood the purpose of the SRIO app but it says in the readme.txt:

This application demonstrates the MIOS32_SRIO driver

- DIN pins will be forwarded to DOUT pins

- DIN pins send a MIDI message (Note Events)

- DOUT pins controllable via Note Events

- Encoders at SR 13/14 will send CC events

The APP_DIN_NotifyToggle() functions aren't the note events the readme.txt mentions are they? I interpreted it to mean that each DIN would send an individual note event.

Really appreciate the help you guys have given me so far. :)

• 2 weeks later...