4 x IIC PCB for SEQ

Altitude

Up in this thread it was suggested to move the circuitry around the four ICs a little (1cm?) to the right, in order to save on board space on the left - is this still an option? To my eye, this should fit nicely. Also, you should then adjust the lower left mounting hole (the one near LED1) a little upwards, so that it is in line with the lower right one (you might want to do this regardless).

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Up in this thread it was suggested to move the circuitry around the four ICs a little (1cm?) to the right, in order to save on board space on the left - is this still an option? To my eye, this should fit nicely. Also, you should then adjust the lower left mounting hole (the one near LED1) a little upwards, so that it is in line with the lower right one (you might want to do this regardless).

Done and done. The lower mounting holes have the same spacing relative to the connector side as the core32 for consistency(the lower right was off on the last rev), the top ones are different obviously since the board is not as deep.

The second file is the 24 isolated version with jumpers for easier etching..

Also, the 8 pin DIN is available in the US at digikey: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=CP-2380-ND

post-3870-094866900 1284136332_thumb.png

post-3870-004788500 1284136362_thumb.png

Edited by Altitude

That mouser part is fine, I add added the extra pads for both the 5 and 8 pin connectors so ppl can use ones with either the 5mm or 10mm spaced pins in front. Like that pre-terminated 8 pin DIN cable though, might actually not be a bad idea just to terminate the wires that directly to the BLM instead of using the big DIN connector and save some space..

Edited by Altitude

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, kinda hard to trace those pics so here is the schem I used for mine, maybe it will be easier to spot the problem there.

As far as I can tell, pins 1 and 3 and 7 and 8 are swapped in your PCB layout but are shown the other way around in the schematic you posted. Can you confirm?

Also, regarding the footprint, either should work. I ran into that type connector with my last GM5, it is different since it does not have the click-in tabs but will fit the same footprint. I'll make sure to leave more room though since the extra plastic around the pins needs more clearance

This the DIN8 available here btw: http://products.cui.com/getPDF.aspx?filename=SDS-80J.pdf, the pins are numbered differently than the Hisrchmann part in eagle but everything else matches

post-3870-077029700 1285155691_thumb.png

Edited by Altitude

It looks better now - the remaining risk is at your side! ;)

Just a last proposal: you could prepare a "dummy DIN5 socket" between the 4th MIDI OUT and the BLM socket.

This would be helpful for the case that somebody doesn't want to connect a BLM, but wants to add a third MIDI IN/OUT provided by the MBHP_CORE_STM32 module.

In this case he would need two DIN5 sockets.

The MIDI OUT could be soldered at BLM location, the MIDI IN at the "dummy" location.

You don't need to add connections to the "dummy" port - if somebody wants to use it, he could connect MIDI IN pins via two cables.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 years later...

For anybody following, be careful on the pinout for the DIN8 socket. The 1-4-3 layout originally suggested is much more common now and Mouser's datasheet for 806-KCDX-8S-S2-PS is (at this time) incorrectly shown as 2-3-2 3-2-3. 

RS #491-049 looks okay, one has to buy 5 at least where I'm looking.

It seems that Reichelt no longer stock DIN8 PCB mount...

Edited by latigid on

Sure, but is there another relevant thread for the quad IIC? I just wish you'd stuck with the original footprint :). Personally I've already bought the wrong part several times; I think RS might have also 'replaced' their 3-2-3 with a 1-4-3. In any case it would be good if any future PCB runs could have a dual footprint.

Edited by latigid on