Sammich LCD

Amanita

Hi

Can anyone provide me with the LCD dimensions for the Sammich especially the mounting hole centres? I want to source a really cool LCD module and just want to make sure it will fit when the kit arrives. A part number for the standard display that Wilba provides would be ideal. I would email him direct but i'm guessing he has alot going on right now....

Cheers

A

I've started using these:

http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=1033

It's fairly standard pinout and dimensions.

When people are requested to confirm their order for a batch, I suggest this one as an alternative:

http://character-lcd-lcds.shopeio.com/inventory/details.asp?id=935&cat=Lcds&sub=Character%20Lcd

You will need to check dimensions AND the header pinout AND the header position. i.e. I have bought one LCD off eBay that had the backlight pins 15 and 16 swapped. Also the Optrex STEP displays are awesome, but their header pinout has the backlight pins at the other end of the header, so 14 pins correctly align with the sammichSID base, but the backlight pins don't, so you need to do a bit of a fix. I can send you details if you plan to get one.

Advice to everyone: let me check the LCD you plan to use.

• 5 months later...

If that LCD is at 5v 260ma if I read the sheet right doesn't that mean it should be set up as a low power LCD on the jumpers? My order stated that I would be shipped a high power one and I am just at the stage of setting up the jumpers now so was asking on here as the LCD has "5V" written in large friendly letters on it. I thought feeding it the 12v for a high power LCD may not have been a good idea without asking first so I came on here and found this thread.

Also, just to vent, I was outbid on the C64s I was bidding on... Oh well it might be a while longer before I get those sids :)

post-8594-079148100 1299718244_thumb.jpg

The negative green LCDs I sell are high-power. Set JBL to 12V and put shunt in JR4, set brightness pot to half-way and no more. That will keep the total current load low enough for a 12V AC 500mA power supply. Any higher and the input voltage will sag, the voltage regulators won't have high enough input voltage to regulate 9V and 5V, and the PIC won't boot.

Thanks for that, just cranked it up to 12V and now looks better.

Edited to add, screen stopped working again while I was moving sid chips around so I decided to resolder the entire thing a third time, now working again so must've been a really stubborn dry joint.

Edited by Stormcaller

• 9 months later...

Are the LCDs you shipped with the last batch of SammichSID kits also high-powered, Wilba? I ask because I just completed my kit, and initially, left the jumper in the low-power position. The display was quite dim, so I followed the instructions in the Build Guide to use high-power mode. The display is much brighter now, even with the backlight brightness trimmer turned right down. However, as soon as I turned the device on after changing the jumpers, I noticed a slight burning smell. It wasn't strong, and there certainly wasn't any smoke or anything dramatic like that, but it was noticeable. Also, the power-handling part of the board got noticeably hotter than it had before. I know the two heatsinks and the holes in the case are there to handle that, but I just wondered if things are set as they should be. It still seems to be working OK.

a|x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just finished my sammichSID aswell. Its with the negative green LCD. Initially i had it set to low current on JBL and no shunt on JR4. The display was dim. After voltage checking and installing my 6581's (shunts on both JBP and horizontal on JP) i decided to move to the high power setting after re-reading the emails from WIlba stating the negative green was also high power. i'm using a regulated 2A, 12V non switched adapter which reads 12.15V. I found a post on the forum replied by niLS stating that within 3% of 12V should be ok. The display lit up nice and bright, with the pot set to under halfway, but then dimmed after 10 seconds. now all backlighting is gone. Fried?

regards,

Carlos

Edited by chaosmoon

happy new year all.

i replaced the BC337 which was conducting 1 direction between Collector and Emmiter.

EDIT: (jumper duh)

low power mode:

On the LCD connector i'm measuring +4.96V between GND and B-

and +4.96V between GND and B+

high power mode:

+4.96V between GND and B-

+12.02V between GND and B+

Is this correct?

Edited by chaosmoon

Hi,

I'm planning my Sammwich build in advance of getting the kit. Would an OLED display work? they tend to be lower in power consumption and clearer than LCD.

I've checked the dimensions and pinout and they match, but I wondered if there were any other considerations?

This is the display:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/20-x-2-OLED-Alphanumeric-Display-500174

EDIT: No matter, going for an MB-6582 instead now :)

Edited by Gilesjuk