where to find qbas' work about scan matrices

mars

Hello,

I'd like to re-midify the keys of my old fatar masterkeyboard, the orginal electronic is damaged. But i cannot find

any part of QBAS' work about scan matrices (16x16 in this case). I searched over the whole forum, wiki and ucapps, but nothing. Can anybody tell my, where these things have been gone?

Thanx!

QBas was reluctant to post his extensions of Thorsten's scan matrix example because they were always of the status "work in progress" and the comments were minimal. Thus he felt they were not work that should be used unless you were reasonably comfortable adapting assembly code without much guidance. That said, he was always happy to share the code with those who understood and accepted the limitations. If your goal is to MIDIfy your keyboard with velocity sensitivity, you may be able to use QBas' code without much, if any, modification as that sounds very much like what QBas is doing. I don't think he follows this Forum anymore but I was able to reach him by email earlier this year and he provided me with his then current code. I would suggest trying that first. If you don't have any luck, post again and I'll sort out what I have and provide you a copy. I was working with someone on a 32x32 matrix, no velocity. (Yes, they really did have it wired for the full 32x32 matrix to MIDIfy an organ console.) They eventually got frustrated with trying to get it working so I can't say that the 32x32 code is proven although I thought the issues were in the keyboard wiring not the code. I think QBas also provided a then current copy of his 16x16 velocity sensing code but I'm not sure and I haven't done anything with it.

Hi,

May be this is useful:

Link to the source code( not the latest revision, I think ) I found in Testing/Troubleshooting - Keyboard matrix 5 octaves, velocity,...by QBAS

Basic key connections, as I understand, can find in:

midiboxkb_-_using_a_c64_keyboard_as_input

Regards,

Janis

Thanx for responses,

I'm total newbie to midibox. In the moment I try to figure out, wether or not DIY with

midibox is the right way for me to solve the problem with my fatar.

Midibox is amazing, and besides eventualy midifying my damaged masterkeyboard, I've got

some more ideas what to do with midibox. FOr example to slaughter my old Viscount organ

and make a B4-controller out of it... maybe, it's easier for me to begin with that.

As I regarded yesterday, robinfawell is working on midifying a fatar keyboard by using

the stm32 based core:

MIDIbox Forum -> Software -> MIOS programming ©->Fast Scan Matrix Using Core32

The code you mentioned, Janos, is said to be buggy, so I think, I'm going to

contact QBAS, as jimhenry said.

Martin

I'm total newbie to midibox. In the moment I try to figure out, wether or not DIY with

midibox is the right way for me to solve the problem with my fatar.

A switch matrix can be perplexing to troubleshoot. I'd suggest doing something easier, like a project based on MIDIO128 before tackling a switch matrix. The guy who bailed on the 32x32 matrix had successfully completed a couple of other MidiBox projects before that.

Hi there,

I don't want to be heretic (forgive me TK). But if I had only little experience and the opportunity of micromatch adapter - I would recommend (in this case - remididfying fatar keybed) - "doepfer mke" for 80 EUR. :fear:

Ashes to my head.

But I see, it's less fun.

Best regards,

clem!

Edited by clem!

I would recommend (in this case - remididfying fatar keybed) - "doepfer mke" for 80 EUR. :fear:

For my Fatar-problem, Midibox is just one option at the moment.

Before i discovered midibox, i'd been looking on several Doepfer products. The problem with MKE is, it doesn't provide 88 keys.

Doepfer also offers their current PMK- or LMK electronics as spare-parts - this is in fact a possible solution, just needs some mechanical modification when building in the scanner PCBs, and should be easier than learnig all the necessary things about midibox, that's right.

So if there weren't all the nice things one can do with midibox, I won't think about that option...

• 3 weeks later...

I should point out that Thorsten, with some donkey work from me, has completed the program code in C for an 88 key Fatar velocity scanned keybed. This is based on MIOS32. You will see it in the examples. To see this you you will need to download the MIOS32 repository.

I'm trying at the moment to add a Midi Channel switch, a Sustain and Soft pedal switches to complete the project. You will see that currently I'm having some difficulties in trying to use the J5 pins for that purpose.

I am delighted with the results. The softsynth I'm using is from Pianissimo which is one of the cheapest.

Providing the Fatar switching is the same, it will be easy to adapt Thorsten's work for a smaller keybed (keyboard).

If you want any help let me know.

Robin