Encoders that SmashTV used to sell

rvooh

Hi

About 2 years ago I bought 45 encoders from SmashTV.

I read about them here: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=encoders

There it says it's Bourns PEC11-series (there's no marking on the encoders itself).

Problem is they're not so good as I would want them to be.. In fact I just killed one by simply tightening the nut, which ripped out the shaft and can't be repaired. I'm sure I didn't over-tighten (it was in acrylics frontplate, the acrylics would break first).

Maybe I just had a dodgy one, the others didn't cause any trouble so far. Fact is I'm pretty much screwed now:

I've been stupid not to order any spares :(

If anyone has some leftover, could I please buy them? Preferably a bit more than one to be sure.

If anyone could add the exact part number for them on the wikipage, that would help too :blush:

I removed the detents from all of mine, except 3 which will be used for menu control.

I'm ordering from farnell this month, in case someone knows of a comparable type there.. I could use a comparable type for the 3 in the menu, important is a D-shaft because otherwise my buttons wont fit.

Thanks.

I've got about 10 pieces with integrated push button and 20 without. Got them from Smash some years ago but decided not to use them in any project because I thought they feel cheap when in original state and get even worse when the detent is removed...

No idea what the original price was, let's say I'm asking 0.50 Euro each? If you want them just PM me your postal and paypal address :)

S

I've got about 10 pieces with integrated push button and 20 without. Got them from Smash some years ago but decided not to use them in any project because I thought they feel cheap when in original state and get even worse when the detent is removed...

No idea what the original price was, let's say I'm asking 0.50 Euro each? If you want them just PM me your postal and paypal address :)

S

PM sent :sorcerer:

(actually i'll send one after posting this ;))

yeah I must agree with you, they "feel" terrible, especially without the detent. It kind surprised me as the wiki and ppl on the forum say they're very good quality. I expected Bourns to be good brand anyway..

What encoders do you use then? I'm considering not using mine too.. It's a big project and I'm going for pretty high standards (all alps tact switches, machined socket ic feet, crimped connectors, machined socket pins).. It would be a damn shame if those encoders aren't good enough to last in it. So far the feel is disappointing but I can live with that as I expect it to change during usage.

What encoders do you use then? I'm considering not using mine too.. It's a big project and I'm going for pretty high standards (all alps tact switches, machined socket ic feet, crimped connectors, machined socket pins).. It would be a damn shame if those encoders aren't good enough to last in it. So far the feel is disappointing but I can live with that as I expect it to change during usage.

I have mostly used the Alps STEC16B3 type. They've got a very nice and smooth feel, quality seems fine although I've had a few heavily used menu encoders start jumping etc. But I guess most "consumer-class" encoders aren't built for eternity, if you want that you'll have to buy types in the 20 Euros/piece range ;)

Wilba offered these chinese Alps clones, forgot the brand name, these are also nice although detented. I'm not too fond of the detent-removal thing, as the feeling is never the same as buying a non detented encoder from the start. Plus closing the encoder again never works as good as I'd wish so there's always a feeling that the part might not be as reliable as it was before.

S