CANCELED: FPE MBseq panels

Altitude

I still wish we could have the V4 cases shipped directly from factory to engraver company and have them do the panels that come with the cases themselves instead of paying for unused metal and shipping (i'm a cheap ass). Is there a reason we are not doing this? No biggie, just thought maybe a few of us are thinking this. Don't mean to come off as an ass :pirate:

Who said that the cases come with a FP? If that is the case, we can just ship those to FPE and save another bundle

• 3 weeks later...

Dont get me wrong, I appreciate the offer but I can get these done at FPE at $160 a pop with the threaded blinds, not have to pay any sales tax, and have them shipped for ~$10 so it would have to be a sweet deal to get them done overseas..

Sorry for the slow reply,

For a buyer in the states, i cant fault your conclusion, but my concern is that a number of people on your list are actually from the EU?

Google has just told me that 160 U.S. dollars = 100.068797 British pounds, so, sure, your price is pretty much what i was offering, but, for a buyer in the EU, that's nowhere close to what they will actually end up paying : (

Ill make my example as a buyer from the UK, as these are the figures i know. Ill disregard all postage amounts, and convert all to USD at the median rate.

Sellers (ie your) paypal charge which i assume youll want paid - 4.4% (USD 7.04)

Buyers paypal currency conversion charge - 2% (USD 3.34)

Shipping - disrergarded

Duty - aprox 3.5% (USD 5.6)

Parcelforce handling - GBP 13.50 (USD 21.53)

VAT @ 17.5% on whole lot - (160 + 5.6 + 21.53) x 0.175 = USD 32.74

So, total charges, excluding shipping - 7.04 + 3.34 + 5.6 + 21.53 + 32.74 = 70.25 USD

Total spend, exclusding shipping - USD 160 + USD 70.25 = USD 230.25!!!

If i convert this to Euro at Google's rate, it gives me - 230.25 U.S. dollars = 168.557833 Euros

Ive just downloaded Schaeffers new pricing for Europe, and priced a 1-off panel from them, and its given me a figure of Euro 164.73 including the 19% German sales tax!

What this meens is that, for anyone in the UK, and, i assume the rest of the EU, it would actually be cheaper for them to buy a 1-off from Schaeffer in Germany, than one of your 10-off from the states.

Of course, i only know the tarrifs for the UK, so other countries across europe may have slightly different processing charges, etc. but i doubt there's a whole load of difference across the EU? Id also assume shipping from Germany to anywhere in the EU to be cheaper than from the States to EU countries?

As youve pointed out, i can barely compete with your US 10-off prices, but, it seems a group buy organised from the US can not compete in Europe with even Schaeffer Germany's 1-off prices.

In light of all of the above, would you be offended if i ran an EU only offer on the panels?

Anyone who was still convinced that threadded blinds in a 3mm panel were a structually sound way to assemble the unit could go with Shaeffer Germany's Euro 164.73 price, but then, anyone who wanted to save some money and / or didnt entirely think that possibly less than 2mm of thread in soft alluminium was sensible could have another option also.

I dont want you to think im 'stealing' your buyers, but, from the above, it does seem that any EU buyer on your list is doing nothing more than subsidising your reduced rate from their own pocket : (

In light of all of the above, would you be offended if i ran an EU only offer on the panels?

He will absolutely not be. The fpe order makes sense for all USians, and they should team up and get a good price.

What you do is very helpful to the community in general and for the europeans in particular and if it makes getting panels *cheaper* as well - all good.

As the person that first asked julianf if he could make me one of Wilba's MB-SEQ front panels, I can attest to the quality of his workmanship.

I would also like to add that I find 12mm standoffs epoxied into 2mm deep blinds to be a very satisfactory method of fixing the PCB. I haven't 'stress' tested it but I wouldn't be surprised if they were at least as strong, if not stronger than threaded blinds as there is much more surface area to aid adhesion.

Cheers

Phil

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...