Midibox SID organ help

modius13

Hey all,

I've come across the problem of having a full-time job and money, but little time to devote to hobbies. I have a pair of 6581s and a pair of 6582s, three 4-octave keyboards, a crapload of cheap push buttons and a few rotary encoders.

I really want to have a nob/switch/whatever for each parameter listed here:

http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fsynthesizers%2Fmidibox_sid_v2%2Fdoc%2Fmbsidv2_parameter_chart.txt

I know the first thing you're going to say is "you're insane!" and you might be right. Humour me though. Which and how many of the SmashTV boards should I get to accomplish my crazy goal?

Should I just stick with the full control surface and the four SIDs and figure out some way to interface the keyboards?

Should I have a separate midibox and SID chip for each keyboard and a sequencer and Midibox for the fourth?

If my thought process sounds a little disjointed it's probably because of a long day at work. If I need to clarify anything, please ask.

Thanks in advance.

edit by nILS: Janis, please don't full quote.

Are your 4-octave keyboards have a midi ? Then you can merge it, it's.

As i understand from the some forum article, it is possible to mix sid pairs : core1 with the 6581, core2 with the 6582 etc. But then you need understand power supply and oscilator diferences .

With the more sid's in your sound synthesizer the sound possibilities are greater.

Regards,

Janis

you say, you got little time to devote to hobbies, but you want to built something, which involves a lot of unnecessary effort.

Your plan to have a dedicated button for every function isn't insane, it just shows that you need to read/think about it some more ;).

The layered structure of the full control surface (or mb-6582) works really well and you can control each parameter.

There is also the "Knobs"-layer, for wich you can freely configure, which parameters it controls.

You can build patches really fast with the full CS.

A Surface with dedicated encoders/buttons per parameter won't save you any time in the long run, considered how long it takes to build.

For easy construction and a great result, get a mb-6582.

It can be played via midi, so if your keyboards have that, there's no need for special interfacing.

Where'd my first post go... Oddness.

I really want to have a nob/switch/whatever for each parameter listed here:

Not gonna happen. Count the number of parameters.

For the funsies: Your CS will rouhgly have the size of the main controller panel in a nuclear power plant. Have a look at the attached mockup. Notice that a lot of the things in the mockup are actually pretty long drop down menus, which would require either a display each or lotsa button+selection LEDs.

Ooof! Someone was without their coffee that day it seems!

No. Someone's simply trying to keep the forum somewhat readable. And full quotes are completely unnecessary and pointless, especially when the quoted text isn't even being referenced.