Recording Console

GiPitt

I've been reading this forum for a while, and would love to build my own MIDI controller. I work at a studio that uses an analog recording console with VCA controlled automation (not motorized). However, since I am recording with Cubase and Pro Tools, I prefer to use the much more powerful automation built into those programs. I would like to replace the faders with motorized faders that can both still control the VCAs in the console, but also sends out and receives MIDI HUI controller information. I wpuld like to make this as scalable as possible for others wanting to do this kind of a mod. I would like to see this be able to implemented on boards ranging from 16 faders to 64 faders.

However, I am very busy and don't have the time to design my own as well as build it. I need help. I realize this forum is all about DIY, but there are only so many hours in a day. I need help designing, and perhaps even some help assembling a controller like this (depending on how long it might take). I realize other people's time is valuable also, and can compensate for help given (but please contact me first). I would like to post all the design elements and final project here as it is realized.

I hope I am not offending anyone with the way I am presenting this proposal, but I can't think of a better way to do this. Also, if there are other recording engineers out there like me that love their analog consoles, but work with DAWs, there would be many other people who would love this kind of a mod. Thanks All.

I am looking at the MIDIbox LC with just the motorfaders (and maybe the machine control section) for this project. I am having trouble seeing any of the extra pages on the http://www.ucapps.de/ website though, so I can't see if I could just use this code and if I could use the faders as the VCA control faders as well as MIDIbox LC controllers.

You probably would best go with dual linear taper motor faders. One Taper with 10k lin for the midibox and the second taper depending to what the faders currently (VCA-Controller Fader) have - Probably also 10k lin.

I think these faders won't be available as standard.

Another solution (if the console also uses 10k lin) would be a mode-switch for each fader... maybe with reed-relais. Then you would implement a master mode switch in your Midibox (DIN) and control the reed relais over a DOUT. This way you could switch your console back to VCA functionality and back with one button press.

Another possibility again would be to control the faders with MidiBox and send the fader position over AOUT back to the VCAs (might be a bit expensive fro 64 Ch).

Your console probably also has touch functionality. If yes, then it gets a bit trickier. What you could do, is checking if you can pick up a "touch activated" signal from somewhere in the existing circuitry to send to e.g. a DIN board.

... and yes, LC is probaly the best basis to work from.

Greets, Roger