USB (from synth) to midi sysex converter ?

moroe

Hello

Is it possible to do a usb to midi converter ?

There appearing more and more synths which have usb and dont have a midi out port (only midi in)

The problem is that i wanna send sysex dumps to other midi gear from these synths (waldorf blofeld,...) WITHOUT a computer.

I also would like to get a small Akai LPK25 Keyboard (also with usb only) and connect it as a second keyboard to my hardware.

Greets

Moroe

Edited by moroe

hi, the problem would be that you need a usb host (host as in "additional functionality") providing midi conversion. afaik, the core32 offers only a mere usb standard device, so it will be difficult, but i am happy to be told different :)

Edited by Hawkeye

Hawkeye is correct..

The "Host" takes on a bigger part of the transfer responsibility, it's a lot more than just a simple converter.

There is a new standard called "USB on the Go" that allows devices to talk directly without a host in between, but we have not seen much with that yet.

Another issue is driver compatibility. There is a "standard" driver for MIDI devices, but many devices come with their own private drivers.

Some (like Roland/Edirol) have a switch on the interface that lets you choose one or the other.

It should be a lot simpler, but sometimes it's just not. Using USB ports means that a PC user won't need a MIDI interface, but that assumes you want to connect to a PC and not between other types of musical gear.

LyleHaze

Edited by lylehaze

• 7 months later...

Hello

Another issue is driver compatibility. There is a "standard" driver for MIDI devices, but many devices come with their own private drivers.

I understood about the ´´host/driver compatibility´´ mentioned. But, thinking around, Instead of a ´´generic´´ USB MIDI out to old DIN MIDI Out converter, that could convert all kind of messages from all gears that have a MIDI USB out, it could be possible (and easier maybe) to develop just some specific solution for some specific host? Eg. Something to convert the USB MIDI out from a Axiom keyboard (a good example because it is a keyboard which sells a lot) to the old MIDI style socket (DIN)? It only could read the MIDI from that keyboard, no other. Convert, then throw it to a old DIN MIDI out port.

Sorry for resurrecting this thread from the last year, but I´m get more and more intrigued with this subject. I wish it have a commercial solution for this, but I can´t find.

Sure. I really don´t know why people don´t care with this functionality. There´s hundred of old synth-modules going cheap, such as the ones from Kurzweil, Korg, etc, that only have the DIN5 MIDI in PORT (of course). Also, Midibox synths just have that port.

Thanks for the link! The product looks very new also pretty expensive. But I´ll consider that as a option. Actually it´s the price of the solution to convert USB to old MIDI DIN that I´m using (Netbook running a MIDI router software + Cables)

Looks like the best and simple solution is plan the setup to the the old MIDI. Eg, buying a new keyboard with the DIN MIDI

Or just pray for someone experienced in the MIOS32 programming make such solution for the convertion :whistle:

I was surprised the Korg Nanopad didn't have DIN MIDI. I didn't buy it specifically, it came bundled with software, but I thought it might make an interesting controller.

I only use a computer for recording so USB to DIN MIDI would be pretty cool really

korg-nanopad---1_copy1.jpg

EDIT: of course the full sized DIN wouldn't fit, but I expected a break out cable. I obviously didn't do my homework.

Edited by latigid on

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone else stuck with USB-only output, this new device just appeared and seems to be cheaper than the one mentioned by Altitude:

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2011/07/15/kenton-intros-usb-to-midi-interface-eliminates-need-for-computer/

Best regards,

Peter

Nice! at least Kenton should know what they are doing vs these iPhad clowns