Shipping

smashtv

Hello!

I have sent a few test parcels to figure out some of the issues and I quickly noticed a trend.....If an Airmail flat is below the tax threshold it seems to find it's destination without taxes or delay, often beating transit times for Express Mail.

I have set up a custom 'low value order' page for most of the EU countries that limits the total value of the order to roughly 22€ or less. Under 22€ is typically duty/tax free meaning a Core8 board costs roughly 10€ including insured shipping via this method.

The new page serves Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom.

Click here to take a look or place orders: EU Low Value Order page

My main parcel insurance provider finally added Brazil and other countries in South America, so I'm working on similar custom pages for BR rules and few other countries.

Any questions/suggestions/feedback are welcome, including 'why don't you ship to x'.....but lets keep it in this thread so I can stop repeating myself in my inbox. ;)

Best regards

Tim aka SmashTV

ultra-nice shipping rates!!!

can i reconsider todays order? :-) (if it is still possible - paypal refund and I try your new shipment method tomorrow ;) )

background: last time i was "handled" in a local customs office, i was very close to hurting that customs officer after an hour or so ;-)

thx! Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

No Italy :no:

:cry: sigh!

I wish it was not this way, but Italy has a specific rule about this:

"First-Class Mail International shipments may not contain dutiable articles." (see #3 under observations at this link)

Italy is not alone with this, many countries have the same rule....Assuming one of my two parcel insurance providers will cover it, I'll make a similar offering using Priority Mail. It's not as cheap as Airmail/First Class but it's typically $10usd or more less than Express Mail.

Best regards

Tim

Hi Tim,

remember we discussed about Norway via PM? Please see if you can include us as well... :flowers:

Thanks, ilmenator

Yes!

Thank you for reminding me....

Insurance rules/rates and shipping rules/rates are the same as most of the EU, the low value for customs is almost the same at nok 200, so I added Norway to the country list.

If the exchange rate happens to widen the roughly $3 difference by another $3 in the customs threshold, I'll make a Norway only page to take advantage of the gap.

In other words -if/when- the exchange rate is nok 200=$36.23usd a core32 board could ship this way without tax or delay.

I'm off to do a full read of that section of the customs rules, but so far the only noteworthy difference I see is the parcel needs two invoices attached instead of one......I think I can cope! :)

Best regards

Tim

My main parcel insurance provider finally added Brazil...

Ah Muleque! :frantics:

Good that you have said that oficially. Lots of people here been asking where order the boards. I was always confused to say because I didn't know you was suporting BR oficially. Now it's real. :ahappy:

Smash, is Greece supported in the regular shop, I see the shipping option in the small shop list, but I want to order a core 32 an the M6582 base and CS pcbs and parts, so I will need to do that via the regular shop, but I cant find Greece as an option, WIll you add it or should I order anyway and calculate the cost using another country (and which one?)

KnoBall thanks again for helping me figure out the rules for shipping to Brazil, both written and unwritten....

I added BR to the main store page with Express Mail service, and I will get the low value order page for Brazil finished and ready over the next few days. Brazil has a 'no dutiable articles in Airmail' rule, but unlike other countries that rule does not specifically include Priority Flat Rate service.....so the Brazil low value page will use volume units instead of weight.

Hermes my main insurance provider stopped insuring shipments to Greece, but I recently started a new open coverage policy with a second insurance provider who does cover shipments to Greece. Greece is back in the country list on the main store page now. :)

Thanks guys!

Best regards

Tim aka SmashTV

Can i haz a refund too?

Great job Smash. I wonder if you could add the Core32 board with IC also?

I guess it would be nice to have a script that takes it out if the exchange rate puts its value above 22 euro.

Its currently just under 21 euro.

You have to look at the official exchange rates that the customs offices in each country / in the EU use. Usually, these rates are updated once a month. Still, if the value is at the brink of the NOK 200 / (put in your local limit here) limit, it remains a gamble, due to the time it takes SmashTV to handle the order, and shipping time. I am not sure how this can be handled satisfactorily in the future?!

Edited by ilmenator

You have to look at the official exchange rates that the customs offices in each country / in the EU use. Usually, these rates are updated once a month. Still, if the value is at the brink of the NOK 200 / (put in your local limit here) limit, it remains a gamble, due to the time it takes SmashTV to handle the order, and shipping time. I am not sure how this can be handled satisfactorily in the future?!

Maybe upon request would be better then.

I never knew the customs offices had their own interest rates,

that sucks.

Mhm, it seems customs has intercepted my low value parcel... I hate them guys... (Smash: is there a way to track it? I guess not for these low shipping rates...)

Edit: forget it ;-) It arrived today. :frantics:

Edited by Hawkeye

Hi Tim.

Is there any likelihood that you will add the MB-6582 boards to the "EU Low value order page" ?

At a price of $20 their value would be below the £18 threshold that HMRC have set to qualify for Import Duty and VAT relief. I'm not sure if this would exceed the maximum size for flat packages but could save me quite a bit as I always seem to get hit for Duty/VAT.

Yes it looks like I might finally be thinking about building something with a SID in it :)

Cheers

Phil

Hi Phil!

Is there any likelihood that you will add the MB-6582 boards to the "EU Low value order page" ?

Short answer: for the UK order from the main order page. For a Baseboard only airmail order to the UK it gives the same price the low value page would.

Long answer:

For most countries the 6582 and Core32 boards won't be available on the low value order pages, unless the exchange rate goes far enough in the buyer's favor to stay under the no tax limit.....whether the country in question taxes 'landed cost' (total price for contents + shipping + transaction fees) or taxes value of contents only is a big part of the equation. Like the other tax rules this info can be very hard to find for a non-resident, so I don't have that info.

Airmail from US to UK has been solid and reliable, so my main store page has some exception logic written in for the UK. If you buy a single baseboard and choose UK-Airmail for the destination it will give you the right price/same as a low value page would. A ready to mail flat containing only a 6582 Base board weighs in just over 12oz, putting it in the 12oz to 16oz rate class.

To everyone: if you have links to the 'is shipping cost and insurance taxable' rule for your country please post it in this thread or in a private message.....I have no problem with building more customized pages to make the most of the different rule sets.

Best regards

Tim

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello to the Midibox community

First, I  WISH EVERYBODY THE BEST FOR THIS YEAR !!!

as every day :rolleyes:  I have looked at midibox shop for new seq V4 pcb and it's arrived : back in stock

I know many people where waiting for them, and I can't resist to share the info...

Yeaaaah, thank you Mike !

And a new web site, great, great day