MBFM Control Surface PCB

consumer

Howdy,

So over my gluttonous holiday weekend I started, and got reasonably far along with knocking together a control surface PCB for the MBFM in KiCAD.

It's pretty rigidly based upon TK's control surface; right now the controls correspond to exactly to the MBFM_DIN_Default and MBFM_DOUT_Default pdfs. I've selected the PT-10 case and the circuit board dimensions correspond to PacTec's recommended dimensions. The enclosure may change if I find something totally awesome while stumbling through the internet. I'm hoping to integrate this into Wilba's sammichFM base PCB (BTW; you're covering the Midi, Power & Audio IO, right Wilba?)

I haven't really begun routing it yet, just a few test runs with KiCAD's autorouter. I also likely haven't finished placing components either. And I likely haven't abandoned

the notion of changing cs_menu_io_table.inc and cs_menu_enc_table.inc to find a more polite layout.

Clearly this project is half-cocked, possibly even one-quarter-cocked, but I'm submitting it to this bright bunch for your amusement and use.

The package should be pretty self-contained; all parts and footprints are in their own libraries and opening the .pro file should find them, but if you're missing something let me know.

If you see something totally wonky please tell me. Same goes for if you see anything that only a genius would notice that would solve all my problems.

Ok; Have fun!

dugan

MBFM_CS_2010-11-29.zip

Hey, the routing has not been started, so this is a good time for criticism :whistle:

1) I would not put the LCD that much up against the upper border - the front panel will look nicer if the LCD sits more "embedded", somewhere inside the front panel.

2) There is a lot of unused space in the central part of your front panel. It will most probably not look very nice.

3) The encoders are at the bottom of the front panel, i.e. you will have to reach over them in order to access the buttons below the LED matrix. It also means that there is nowhere to rest your hands - not sure if this is an issue for an enclosure the size of the Pactec one, though.

4) Unless you are a left-handed person, it might not be such a good idea to have the matrix on the right-hand side of the panel. I would assume that the "main" hand should be mostly tweaking the rotary encoders?

Hope that helps somewhat!

• 3 weeks later...
I'm hoping to integrate this into Wilba's SammichFM base PCB (BTW; you're covering the Midi, Power & Audio IO, right Wilba?)

Yes, I am. Everything you need except for the DIN/DOUT modules is on the base pcb. That includes the modules (core, opl3 and 5x bankstick), sockets (midi i/o, 2x stereo audio out, ac/dc in) and power switch.

Also, it's sammichFM (note the capitalization).