kaffeSEQ what is it actually?

rosch

hey maybe i've missed information about this.

i'm not so sure what the obviously upcoming kaffeSEQ actually is.......

is it a MBSEQ V3 with reduced control surface and/or functionality maybe?

or is it some new concept, i.e. something completely different than the big guy?

looks interesting from the pics, that much i can tell ;-)

Edited by nILS
fixed kaffeSEQ spelling ;)

It's not based on mbSEQ, and it's not necessarily "upcoming" either, so far it's just a neat little project. It's basically a 8x4 step sequencer. Period. The most curious thing about it is probably, that it's designed by a guy who doesn't like sequencers, which might make this little fella a rather interesting and erm maybe even a bit different.

And to make sure we don't get the same amount of misspelling going as with the sammichSID and sammichFM (notice the capitalization, get it right or face the wrath of Wilba) - it's kaffeSEQ. Lower-case german coffee with a missing e followed by an upper-case SEQ :yes:

Okay, then some more info.

The initial idea was to make a tiny yet fully working and easy to use and cheap and cool sequencer. Something you can use to test synth settings, carry around with you in a small bag, make some cool 303ish sequences with.

Then Wilba used his big persuasion hammer on me and feature creeped the living hell out of it. Well, a bit a least.

The firmware is still an early alpha version and roughly does this:

- Plays 4 sequences of 8 steps each in different modes (1, 12, 123, 1234, random, ...)

- For each step you can set note, velocity, 2 CCs, Accent and Glide

- "Swing"

- No deep menu structures, flat hierarchies, easy to get where you wanna

- Stores sequences locally on a bankstick or dumps/receives them via midi

- For each thing you can edit there's 3 modes, ie edit the active step, every step of the active pattern (8 steps) or all 4 patterns.

- It will also have an arpeggiator mode, that'l let you trigger the sequences via MIDI

Ya know, the fun stuff for live fiddling :)

yeah, sounds great!! thanks for the explanations, nILS.

very nice concept.

i think there can never be too many different sequencers, as every device comes with a unique way of dealing with it. i was hoping that this is not a little brother of the SeqV3, no matter how simple it may be.

cool project! and as always nice design btw!

Then Wilba used his big persuasion hammer on me and feature creeped the living hell out of it. Well, a bit a least.

If you consider cheap parts and looking cool are "features", then I concur. :thumbsup:

Oh wait... was it originally a single PCB and I persuaded you to make it sammich style? That sounds like something I would do.

Not at all... I meant I persuaded nILS to use cheap parts to make any future kit cheaper and easier to stock, i.e. E-Switch tactile switches, C&K black switch cap, standard 8x2 character LCD... I didn't like the idea of using an EA DOG LCD, at $15 they're a bit overpriced relative to the target kit price ($150-$175), I can get the standard ones for <$5, and also not be locked into just one model/supplier.

I have been sweating over building a sequencer. I followed Wilbas and Hawkeyes instructions to get my Sids running (thanks for both, you are making so much for the community!)! I was just adding myself to every MBSEQv4 bulkorder list when I finally realized that little kaffeSEQ -picture at the galleries. Yippeee!!!! I have Roland-104 analog step sequencer and basically would like midi version of that with memory.... It seems that kaffeSEQ is just what I need and nothing else. I can stop sweating and cool down... All I have to do is wait ---- I am good at that!!!

Go Wilba go!!!! :D B)

Yours,

Roope... eh, Nestle!!!!

Edited by Nestle

• 5 months later...