newbie question mios8 vs mios32

Elektruck

I'm new here but I’ve wanted to build a midibox64 for a long time now. I've searched this site many times but I never knew where and how to start. I’ve quite some soldering experience, I builded a sequentix P3 sequencer, an ASM1modulair synth and an Oakley Sound 3031 and more stuff. I just always used a good step by step guide, but with the MIOS projects it’s a little different. I understand that's because the modulair principle of the midibox so that everybody can build his own machine.

Yet after last good look I thought I understood the whole principle and I knew what to do. A 'normal' midibox 64, no encoders or motorized fader or something.

I want to build an analogue style controller for Ableton Live.

I want to experiment with different variable resistors, strain and bending etc. And I’ve builded a Paia Theremax witch sends 0-5 V CV signals that I would like to use.

Therefore I chose the regular midibox 64 with the PIC core base and ordered the necessary kits from smashTV yesterday.

But when I came back to this site and started reading over and over again, I started questioning myself if I couldn’t better start with the STM32 core, for that’s the future!

But for the MIOS 8/midibox64 I understand how to work and start assembling, and for the STM/MIOS32 I don’t understand and don’t know how to start.

Is it as simple, or is STM32 specially designed for new and advanced projects?

What are your thoughts? All input is welcome!

I can probably still change my order, because it’s not payed yet.

Thanx and regards,

Roel

While MIOS32 is (in some respects) the future, MIOS8 is far from dead.

If you want to build a MIDI controller and you don't want to write your own code then to be honest, MIOS8 is still the way to go. The MIDIbox 64 and it's brethren are complete and fully working controllers which can be fairly easily adapted to most needs without any programming.

Having said that, if you are like me and enjoy spending more time building and programming than actually using the kit then I would definately recommend going the MIOS32 route. Be aware though, there is no MIDIbox 64/128 type project for MIOS32 yet so you would need to create your own or adapt one of the sample apps. Be warned though, this route can include much pain and not a lot of music :)

Luckilly every module that you buy will work with either CORE variant so why not start with the CORE8, get a nice working controller and then in the future you can always upgrade to a CORE32. To be honest, if it is just a MIDI controller for Ableton, unless you want to play with OSC and other more advanced features then you are unlikely to ever outlive the CORE8.

Cheers

Phil

OK, Thanx for your answer. That's exactly what I wanted to hear!, and what I expected in the first place.

To be honest last years I'm more a bit of a builder and techgeek than a musician, always looking for the perfect set up and busy getting everything to work. But I'm also really looking forward to play and do gigs with only a laptop and a big sturdy controller, instead of dragging al those analogue machines and dozens of cables like I did in the past. So starting a new hobby like programming is not my way to go, and I'm busy enough breaking my head over computer like stuff.

Thanx again for your fast and clear answer!

Cheers, Roel

Edited by nILS
don't fullquote, please