Upcoming MBHP_MF_NG module

TK.

If 5V/GND are swapped, the motor connections have to be swapped as well - from this point of view Roellis diagram is correct.

I think that it doesn't matter if the motor is at the lower or upper side, it depends a bit on the case that you are using.

But usually it's better to have the motor at the upper side, e.g. if the panel end is lowered (german: "wenn die Unterseite der Frontplatte abgesenkt ist")

@Roelli: could you please change your diagram accordingly to give a better "best practice" example?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

No, MBHP_MF_NG doesn't emulate Motormix - is this really required? Logic or Mackie Control should be sufficient?

I just have released a new version, it can be downloaded from http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_mf_ng.html

V1.001 got some new operating modes:

The additional CC modes allow to use more than two MBHP_MF_NG modules with unique CC numbers

Please note that the mode IDs are incompatible to the previous version!

-> if you are using MBHP_MF_NG V1.001 (or higher), you can only configure it with MIOS Studio 2.2.3 (or higher)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Will mackie control work with protools?

I think it's a good idea to integrate the protocol into MBLC as well, especially since it only needs a single 2x40 LCD

(just noticed that it's supported by Logic Pro, which means that I will be able to test it by myself)

MBHP_MF_NG needs an firmware update to support it properly, because the fader events are different.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello.

5 of the MF_NG pcbs are ready. One MF_NG is connected to the "test setup".

Suggestions:

Thats a lot of wiring! Iam thinking about making pcbs for the faders. So that its possible to use one pcb layout for every motorfader and 'daisy-chain' all pcbs with one 37-pin connector to the MF_NG module. With 5 smd solder bridges one could 'adress' the small pcbs on each motorfader. (two connections for the motor 1-8, one for the touch sensor 1-8, one for the fader track/signal 1-8)

Well... the easiest part is done. When Iam connecting the MF-NG to the PSU the status LED is blinking/fading. Is this a good or a bad sign? :rolleyes:

Voltages at the PIC and the stepper controllers are okay.

Is there any dumb-ass instruction manual how to get it running? :twitch: :shifty: :whistle: :rolleyes: :unsure:

Someone (thanks Nils) was kind enough to burn the PICs for me. But as this is my first project with Midi and microcontrollers iam lost. :twitch:

Do I have to upload something to the mios? Whats the way to say 'fader channel 1 is midi channel 1' (with Cubase).

Thanks in advance.

(I can make a small 'instruction manual' when I got it working, might be helpful for other people)

Thanks,

Roelli.

ucapps3.jpg

ucapps2.jpg

ucapps1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Guys,

just made my MBHP_MF_NG..

Same as Roelli, I've got the Status led fading in and out, no connection to Mios. I'm using the pick from my Midibox LC, so had it flashed with the NG Firmware before switching it to the board.

Any news on this? can't seem to get anywhere from here.

Edited by Eliani

I just have doublechecked that the released firmware is correct - it works at my side.

The flashing LED indicates that the firmware is running successfully -> no installation problem.

So, you can concentrate on checking the MIDI connections:

1) MIDI OUT check: move a fader -> PitchBender events should be sent (by default if no other mode is configured)

If this doesn't happen, check the the MIDI IN port of your PC has been connected to the MIDI Out port of the core module (port located at the corner of the PCB)

Does it work?

2) MIDI IN check: connect the MIDI IN of the PCB with the MIDI OUT port of your PC. Send a PitchBender event over channel #1 from the virtual keyboard of MIOS Studio (again: assumed that the fader mode hasn't been changed yet) -> the motor should start to move.

Does it work?

3) Bidirectional check: press the Query button in MIOS Studio: the PIC should be detected.

Does it work?

If not, check the device ID, maybe the core has been configured for a different one?

The device ID is visible in the SysEx message which is sent during power-on, see also http://www.ucapps.de/howto_debug_midi.html

Note that this guide also contains some additional tips for troubleshooting the MIDI connections.

4) Configuration: works only with a bidirectional connection -> open the MBHP_MF_NG tool of MIOS Studio

Ensure that you are using the latest MIOS Studio version!

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey TK,

I've got it up and running.

This morning the connection with miosV2 did work, I ended up with a continuous midi-stream because I only hooked up 1 fader, but after setting the appropriate number of faders in the NG setup tools it worked perfect.

Now I need to rewrite for Hui emulation, buy more faders, and have someone route me a 19 inch panel to my specifications.

Thanks.

Edited by Eliani

Greetings,

I've got (i'd say) considerable experience with electronics (mostly analog, plus prototyping and repairing various devices), but i'm a bit new to the details of the MidiBox project.

One thing i'm not too clear on is this:

Is there some way to "daisy-chain" several of these new MBHP_NF_MG together, say 4-5? Is it enough if one creates a "loop" or a "ring"? (I mean the MidiOut of the "main interface" to MF1 MidiIn, MF1 MidiOut to MF2 MidiIn --- MFn MidiOut to "main interface MidiIn)

If i understood correctly, these can even be used without an MBHP_CORE module, right? Or if not, which connector would go to the Core board? I don't know about others, but i'd really appreciate a slightly more complete info section for this module :) Maybe even written for people who aren't quite as MidiBox-savvy as many of this thread's posters are :ahappy:

Hi Khron_X

you can get info on http://www.ucapps.de/ about all the Differnt modules.

but i also agree there isnt realy much info about the MF_NG module

But for the Daisy chain look at : http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_link.html

for allmost each module you need the Core8 or Core32

but the MF_NG module got his own Core. Core+MF module on one PCB :-D

the Brain to run Mios on is the PIC18F452 / PIC18F4620 or PIC18F4685 only the Firmware is differnt for each project.

you can also use the Core8 with the old MBHP_MF module.

but the MF_NG module is the Better version from the older one.

/spirit

Hey Spirit,

Thanks for clearing up part of the issue :) I kinda-sorta gathered that the MF_NG can also be used "stand-alone".

And that link shed light on the other part. Very much appreciated!

Now, wonder where could i find a couple hundred euros to get this baby started? :whistle:

One more question - Except the US-based webshop, where can pcb's for MF_NG be sourced / ordered from (in Europe, preferably)?

Mike's MidiShop seems to be terribly outdated (copyright notice on the bottom "ends" in 2009), and ordering from overseas is more expensive, takes ages, and there's the "risk" of having to pay customs fees >_<

If you use the low value option of the US-based shop, there is little chance you have to pay custom duties.

• 3 weeks later...

The module is designed to be controlled from another MIDIbox (or from a PC).

There are no free pins for a MBHP_DINX4 modul, or even a free pin to connect a single button.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I just have released a new version, it can be downloaded from http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_mf_ng.html

V1.002 got a Mackie HUI and Motormix emulation mode:

For selecting the new modes you need MIOS Studio 2.2.4 (or higher)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Great news! Thanks Thorsten!

I think I am going to try and implement this with a dual track fader (log for audio, and linear for fader movement).

Would it be possible to chain 32 moving faders through 4 MF_NG modules, to a core that runs HUI emulation with a DOUT (LED's) and DIN (pushbuttons for mutes) module as well?

My idea is to use the DINs with pushbuttons to activate the mutes in protools, with the DOUTs responding to the state of the mute in protools, lighting an LED and driving a normally closed relay to open (hence, muting)...

thoughts? I should really look deeper into it, but with a bit of tinkering it would probably also be possible to implement a simple "SOLO" button that flips the state of the pushbutton to mute everything but the channels you select...

Would it be possible to chain 32 moving faders through 4 MF_NG modules, to a core that runs HUI emulation with a DOUT (LED's) and DIN (pushbuttons for mutes) module as well?

My idea is to use the DINs with pushbuttons to activate the mutes in protools, with the DOUTs responding to the state of the mute in protools, lighting an LED and driving a normally closed relay to open (hence, muting)...

thoughts? I should really look deeper into it, but with a bit of tinkering it would probably also be possible to implement a simple "SOLO" button that flips the state of the pushbutton to mute everything but the channels you select...

It doesn't work this way due to various reasons:

a) as mentioned just one posting above your one the firmware doesn't scan additional DIN pins. You will need a fith core, e.g. running with MIDIO128

b) the HUI protocol doesn't allow to control multiple HUI instances from a single MIDI port, therefore the chaining method won't work -> each core has to be connected to a dedicated MIDI interface port.

For both reasons, the best solution is probably to use a MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module in addition, running with MIDIO128.

The MBHP_MF_NG modules can be connected to the 4 MIDI IN/OUT ports.

Thereafter setup the MIDIO128 based MIDI router to forward the MIDI events directly to the 4 separate USB MIDI ports.

In addition, the same app can be used to scan additional buttons and to drive LEDs (up to 128 in a non-matrix configuration)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

HI

Im working on a almost equal Fadermodul for SAC from RML and there it is possible to chain a maximum of three CM MotorMix on one Midi port by exchanging the eeprom. This is a copy of the Help for MM:

>>

CMA MotorMix Control Surface (Top)

The MotorMix LCD display is used to show parameter and channel labels in the various selection modes. Pan mode is used as the default mode to display channel numbers or labels for the current bank.

Alternate midi controller templates are included to allow two MotorMix controllers to be used at the same time for 16 channels of control or three controllers for 24 channels. The MotorMix units must be upgraded with a new internal ROM chip available from MotorMix in order for this to work. When ganged together and turned ON, each controller will set itself to a different midi chan. (chan-1 and chan-2 etc).

The surface can be made to chase SAC's Hot Chan by using one of the Mixer Menu Midi Hardware Controller Link options.

If using a single controller make sure it is transmitting and receiving on MIDI channel 1 to ensure compatibility with this template.

<<

Did you know that?

For my plans this would be a very interesting option...

best regards

novski

SAC CM MM Help.rtf