question about FM

Dimitree

hi everyone

I'm not new to midibox, but just today I came across the MIDIbox FM and MIDIbox SID. I have a midi keyboard that I usually use with VST plugins, but I'd like to have a synth module to play when I don't want to use the pc. Now my question (sorry for the ignorance about synth): is the FM module a sound module able to do the same things like the Yamaha DX7 and its plugin N.I. FM8 (that I like to use)? I'm sure midibox software can cover the whole lot of settings-parameters, but what about the sound capability? Are the presets on FM8-DX7 just combinations of the sounds inside the chip?

many thanks

Dimitri :)

thanks for the reply Thorsten

I don't hava undestood very well the "operator" definition.. I checked what a single operator provide (on the FM project page) but I don't understand how many operator could I need.

maybe I could help if I explain how I use FM8: I usually use 1 preset at once with no additional FX (at least not inside FM8), and no arpeggiator. I usually prefer pad sounds, soundscapes, and electric piano too.

Edited by Dimitree

The midiboxFM is a very different synth to the FM8 despite both being FM.

The things labelled A-B-C-D-E-F in the FM8 square matrix thing on the advanced page are the operators. It's like an oscillator and an envelope combined. The matrix in FM8 lets you setup any combination of Operators you want where as the OPL3 has only 4 preset routings. FM8 also has a filter and a wave shaper ( G and H on the matrix). FM8 envelopes are very sophisticated, they have unlimited breakpoints, tempo sync and can be used as LFO's as well as operators. Additionally there are two tempo synce LFO's in FM8.

The OPL3 built in envelopes are quite limited with only a small range for the adjustments. TK has implemented an additional Envelope and two LFO's in the MidiboxFM which can tempo sync. The MidiboxFM has a wavetable sequencer that is pretty unique and doesn't have an equivalent on the FM8.

I like the Midibox FM for bass sounds (similiar to the famous lately bass), percussion clicks and blips and for weird fx. I wouldn't use it for e-piano sounds because of the 4ops and limited op ratios. Pads and soundscapes are do able and they tend to sound lofi and glitchy.

Edited by widdly

• 2 weeks later...

I'll have to post a video :)

MBFM is one of the greatest sound design synths I have ever had the pleasure to use.

In one hour I made over 60 unique sounds. Of course I did not save any patches :) I was sampling as I went along.

That leads me to its one drawback. Polyphony is limited when you have all four tracks going. The synth sounds awesome when you set all four tracks to one midi channel and hit some keys on your keyboard.

If you do build it I strongly recommend to do the full control surface with the matrix because there are so many controls to adjust.