Commodore 64 Redux

TheAncientOne

This is incredibly stupid. I would much rather put a Keyrah board into one of my now SID-less breadboxes.

I thought the same - especially having a full set of PC connections into the back of a keyboard based unit. No a reliability enhancer, that's for sure.

Silly thing is, to me, an FPGA/SOC realisation of a '64, with some SD card storage could have been built for a lower price, and would have been way more fun, (not to mention the number of games it would re-enable). My other thought is of a re-made SID chip to go with it....

Historically, I have to say that as a games machine, the 64 was the boss of it's era. As a proper computer is was a bad joke, crappy implementation of BASIC, lame OS that had a negligible API, and any serious graphics had to be hand coded. I had, (and still have) BBC micros. Not enough RAM, basic sound, but one of the best BASICs ever written, a decent OS, well documented API, and support for loads of peripherals,(way more than any other device of it era). Oh, and discs that ran at a proper speed.

Silly thing is, to me, an FPGA/SOC realisation of a '64, with some SD card storage could have been built for a lower price, and would have been way more fun, (not to mention the number of games it would re-enable). My other thought is of a re-made SID chip to go with it....

There is one : http://c64upgra.de/c-one/s_about.htm

It's quite the opposite of the other one.

It lacks the look, because it won't fit in a breadbox, but hardware-wise it is much closer to the original.

There is one : http://c64upgra.de/c-one/s_about.htm

It's quite the opposite of the other one.

It lacks the look, because it won't fit in a breadbox, but hardware-wise it is much closer to the original.

Thanks Imp - I hadn't seen this one. I've built the ZX80/81 board, and have been looking a doing a 'Jupiter Ace' clone this way, (because I like FORTH). It's kind of pricey, but it looks a solid, totally professional job.

Wish I could afford one.