3,2 TFT Touch Screen

Shuriken

Has anybody tried these type of displays? It's not terribly expensive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-2-262k-TFT-240-320-Color-LCD-module-Touch-Pane-/120640315337?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c16b91fc9

They come with an ILI9320 controller which supposedly can use both 8/16 bit parellel or SPI inferface. It even comes with a STM32 driver. Not sure how bad the cpu usage is :whistle:

Edit: Darn, probably should have posted this in Parts Questions :pinch:

Edited by Shuriken

• 2 weeks later...

LCD's have arrived today, bit busy so I won't be able to do anything tonight with them. They have an SDCard slot on the back which is quite interesting.....

Cheers

Phil

I received mine as well. I knew about the sd-card. I wonder which way to hook it up is fastest: 8-bit,16-bit or SPI. Well, guess it's trail and error.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I already reached the same conclusion :( There are other boards available that allow the LCD to use SPI but it looks like for some reason the manufacturer left that off, probably because the SPI for the SD card is also shared with the Touchscreen controller......

It doesn't even look like the other configuration pins are available anywhere on the board to force SPI mode.

The other problem is that because of the shortage of I/O on the CORE32, J15 goes via the 74HC595 so reading registers/memory 'from' the LCD is also out of the question which does limit certain things, for example I was hoping to be able to use the LCD controllers buffer memory to save having a screen buffer on the STM32. The downside with this is that anything above 2-3 bit colour is pretty much out of the question.

I haven't quite got the display connected yet (hopefully this weekend) !

Cheers

Phil

Yes I already reached the same conclusion :( There are other boards available that allow the LCD to use SPI but it looks like for some reason the manufacturer left that off, probably because the SPI for the SD card is also shared with the Touchscreen controller......

It doesn't even look like the other configuration pins are available anywhere on the board to force SPI mode.

The other problem is that because of the shortage of I/O on the CORE32, J15 goes via the 74HC595 so reading registers/memory 'from' the LCD is also out of the question which does limit certain things, for example I was hoping to be able to use the LCD controllers buffer memory to save having a screen buffer on the STM32. The downside with this is that anything above 2-3 bit colour is pretty much out of the question.

I haven't quite got the display connected yet (hopefully this weekend) !

Cheers

Phil

Ah, i didn't think of that. I was indeed hoping to use the buffer on the controller. I haven't hooked it up either. Might do on the weekend though.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of weekends have passed. But only today i had a chance to look into it.

Currently figuring out how to hook this thing up. Firstly trying to do 8bit parallel.

The tft board connector looks like this:

connector.png

The datasheet says these pins need to be connected for 8bit operation:

• nCS (Chip Select Signal)
  • RS (Register Select Signal)
  • nWR (Write Strobe Signal)
  • nRD (Read Data)
  • DB[17:9]

The unused DB[8:0] pins must be tied to either Vcc or AGND.

The driver also mentions a nRstPin and a Lcd_LightPin. So i am assuming nRESET and LE EN need to be hookup as well.

Update:

• nCS should be connected to DGND if not used.(Low: the ILI9320 is selected and accessible)
    • RS can be tied to RS (duh :tongue:)
    • nWR to R/W?
    • nRD dont use?
    • nRESET i assume should be either high or left floating.
    • EN should probably be high, so the backlight will be on (always).
Edited by Shuriken

• 5 months later...

I found this post..

I have this Display and Controller here.

I was loaded with a demo uCOS, and some more.

Also, it has 4-wire Touchpanel and the 8 bit and 16 bit option.

I also tried to implement this to midibox, but i will try this later, when i learn bit more about the system.

First i can let you see, a lot of things, that i became.

I have a folder, that contains a Rtos Demo for this Board.

If someone want to look into the files. i can send it.

There are to many file to attach.

When it helps, have fun.

I found some LCD Driver header and c files. Some members can look into it, so get a better look into the schematic.....

I have wrote the folder name to filename, because i can´t upload a folder.

Mainfolder -> "SRC_" -> Subfolder -> "SRC_LCD"

Have fun!

post-8517-0-96924400-1312838669_thumb.jp

MINI_STM32-V3.0_SCH.pdf

2.8TFT_sch(new).pdf

ILI9320.pdf

ads7843.pdf

TouchScreen_ADS7843.c

SRC_main.c

SRC_sys.h

SRC_delay.h

SRC_integer.h

SRC_LCD_ili9320.c

SRC_LCD_ili9320.h

SRC_LCD_ili9320_font.h

post-8517-0-72952700-1312839660_thumb.jp

post-8517-0-06783500-1312839673_thumb.jp

Edited by CSC

Looks very similar to the code i have here (not my own). I have an eval board based on a STM32 103VE. I want to try the display on it. However i need to wait for the delivery of my jtag adapter.

Before i get any smart comments about the LPCXPRESSO, i bought this board long before :rolleyes:

Edited by Shuriken

The biggest problem with this display is that in 8 bit mode it requires 2 way communication with the CPU to be useful as the CPU does not have enough RAM to maintain a reasonable screen buffer.

Unfortunately both the CORE32 and LPC_CORE32 use a 74HC595 to interface with the LCD which doesn't allow bi-directional comms.

I have 2 of these displays and for the last few months I have been trying to work out a way to interface them to the CORE32 but I haven't had much time recently. If your version includes the SPI interface option then this is probably the best method of tallking to it but for some reason they left SPI off the ones that I bought even though the ILI9320 supports it :(

Cheers

Phil

The biggest problem with this display is that in 8 bit mode it requires 2 way communication with the CPU to be useful as the CPU does not have enough RAM to maintain a reasonable screen buffer.

Unfortunately both the CORE32 and LPC_CORE32 use a 74HC595 to interface with the LCD which doesn't allow bi-directional comms.

I have 2 of these displays and for the last few months I have been trying to work out a way to interface them to the CORE32 but I haven't had much time recently. If your version includes the SPI interface option then this is probably the best method of tallking to it but for some reason they left SPI off the ones that I bought even though the ILI9320 supports it :(

Cheers

Phil

Yeah i came to the same conclusion a while back. The CORE32 is not a good option if you want to drive this. And no, my version doesn't include the SPI function either.

But my eval board does not have the limitations of the 74HC595. It has a dedicated 40pin LCD connector on the board. And another 40 pin connector for other I/O. So i want to see if i can get this working with MIOS32.