My First DIY MIDI Controller

Scott.EFC

Hi, been reading up on diy midi controllers for the past week and ive decided to give it a crack. Im a DJ and want to build a dj style midi mixer for my torq dj software. Is there a limit on inputs? or can i use a few midiboxs and link them? Can i have more than one ''brain''? Ive designed my mixer and i will need:

- 201 Buttons

- 39 knobs

- 5 faders

- 5 rotary encoders (endless pots)

- Headphone jack??

Is this doable? What do i need to get me started beside the obviouse (wire, soldering iron,etc,etc)

Many thanks. scott

Hi, been reading up on diy midi controllers for the past week and ive decided to give it a crack. Im a DJ and want to build a dj style midi mixer for my torq dj software. Is there a limit on inputs?

Yes, there is. Depending on the application u use. Read about MB64(e).

or can i use a few midiboxs and link them?

Yes, that´s working. Needs some tweaks though.

Can i have more than one ''brain''? Ive designed my mixer and i will need:

see above.

- 201 Buttons

- 39 knobs

- 5 faders

- 5 rotary encoders (endless pots)

Buttons have a function. Knobs do not, besides they sit either on a encoder or a pot. So 39 Pots and 5 Encoders? Honestly spoken, i think the project is getting too big for a first project.

- Headphone jack??

Not possible unless you incorporate an audio signal path into your box.

Is this doable? What do i need to get me started beside the obviouse (wire, soldering iron,etc,etc)

It is doable, appears overkill for torque (at least to me). You need money, patience, the ability to read, some kind of enclosure, and a lot of stuff you dont think of before... :-)