MBHP TV (preview)

TK.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

displaying all pot values - a nice example, yes :)

I just have evaluated what I said - good results - here two quick hacks:

40x25

mbhp_tv_preview_40x25.jpg

56x25

mbhp_tv_preview_56x25.jpg

In reality it looks better, the resolution of my digicam reduces the quality, and it's especially a rectangle frame on my TV and not a trapezoid ;-)

56x25 characters are the absolute maximum (concerning speed, memory, realtime behaviour)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Man I have WAY too many questions here heheheheh

What's the story with ROM fonts? How are they used? I'd love to do menus using the character set, like in those old DOS apps... But I would rather lots of blocks and lines and special characters, than both uppercase and lowercase alphanumeric characters... Having the whole alphabet there twice seems such a waste, those characters could be musical notes, or bar graphs or menu icons etc... Can the character sets be changed? (R.O.M. implies 'no', I guess)

Could say two (or 3 or four etc) MBHPTV modules be used on one tv screen by somehow offsetting the sizes and positions of the images and mixing them? This could be seriously cool, and a (kinda clunky) way to increase resolution... Say you could have 4 cores, each displaying on one corner of the screen...

Too many ideas! Too many questions!! I'm gonna explode!

for ROM font, I think we can change them? they are include in the asm file, and the "video" memory is fill with the ascII code of the character : 56*25 = 1400 byte of memory.

for the multiple core way.... mmm I think it may be hard to synchronized...

Exactly! :)

Every character set which consists of 256 characters allocates 2k, so you could store 8 different sets in flash and assign it to different scanline sections.

A synchronization between multiple cores isn't realistic for this application. Main reason: the "goto" instruction which is required to poll a flag or a signal takes two cycles. This results to a 1-cycle error which will be visible on screen (jittering scanlines).

It was a challenge to solve the jitter problem in the existing code - fortunately I found a solution which compensates the error (-> H_SYNC macro)

For external, asynchronous signals a deterministic compensation isn't possible.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

actually, I'm not sure if the daft punk album is really called discovery... I don't know what gave me that impression, I just looked, and it just says "daft punk" on the cover, and it is silver and multicoloured, and not silver and brown, like the old one. BTW it is on Virgin records, and I got the Vinyl LP edition ;D ! Sorry to get so off topic!!

bye ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ordneren

This is sweet... I imagine a 5" monitor in my midibox instead of the lcd, those could be had quite cheap i figure  8)

With... uhm,  say a charactherset for animated knobs, for displaying the position of the encoders.

I could do such a set i figure, i used to do a lot of pixel graphics on my trusty old amiga and in DPIIe on pc ;D

What's the format? Where are the tools? :)

- thorsten

On an electroni french magazine, there is a schematic for :

Speaking PIC !!!!

you load some ".wav" (without header) into a 24c256.....

and the PIC (with a simple resistor network DAC) outs your audio file !!!!

so nice !

I imagine a speaking "On TV" mega Mios BOX !!!!!!!!

I can scan the whole schematics ......

dito.... ;-)

ordneren: just wait for the next release (after my holidays), it will make clear how to create customized/animated fonts. In the meantime you could already play with the script in the utils directory, but it requires a paint program which supports the .xpm format (support for the windows-specific .bmp format is planned for the future)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

bmp ? Just dont believe it...

OK, lets get all this together:

We do have:

A TV connected, with whatever animated fonts on it, playing some .wav file ("MBHP ruuuuuuulz"), some flashing LEDs, some moving Motorfaders, flickering LCDs (naturally dozens of those), a few SIDs in that box ............ a yeah, and we control the whole studio over MIDI.

... ... ...  8)  gonna be a looooong soldering session.

Don't understand me wrong: I'm not interested in programming a .wav player, it's too boring and the result wouldn't be very useful for making music. But feel welcome to program this by yourself ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 5 months later...
Guest analouge

It's maybe a very stupid question, coz everyone seems to know the answer, so I'd rather ask and seem stupid than never get the answer... ???

OK - I'm fresh in this forum, and haven't yet built anything of the stuff in here. I stumbled across this page searching for SID stuff. I had heard that enthusiasts still made use of the chip, so I wondered how, and I got my answers in here, so I decided to build my own SID synth + + - all depends on the thickness of my wallet - heh wich seems to be rather slim at the moment, so I'll just settle for planning the projects for now. ;D

Well - the question. What is the TV thing used for? Is it an alternative to the LCD's? :-[

thanks for sending me the forum account info Thorsten! :)

Yeah, it was intended to be sometime.

The current state is that it just prints some "MIOS" message on the screen.

As the resolution won´t be to high and it definitely will stay black/white it´s just something like a bigger LCD. TK is stuffed up with work at the moment (MBSeq / AOUT and other things) so this is some "some other time" candidate at the moment I guess.

Greetz!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
On an electroni french magazine, there is a schematic for :

Speaking PIC !!!!

you load some ".wav" (without header) into a 24c256.....

and the PIC (with a simple resistor network DAC) outs your audio file !!!!

/quote]

what if this was used to implement a sampler type module  i see alot of mixers drum machines with dedicated sounds on a pad    seems like an easy clone

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...