usb midi keyboard idea?

djcapalay

Hello I am new to this forum and the world of diy controllers. I have this idea that's driving me crazy. I know it's simple probably, but what i want to do is make a midi keyboard out of arcade buttons. I would like some advice from people who know what they are doing. So here are my questions? What is the best way to go about this and what usb compliant pc board would you recommend? I was looking at the microhale boards. The mcu32 is sold out and i would need 2 of them. i am wanting to be able to put in 48 or 60 buttons. i want 4 or 5 rows of 12. I would like to set each but chromatically with each button going from c-b with every row having the same notes but different octaves. Cosmetically i dont really know what i'm gonna pile this into so any info are help would be appreciated. Hell if somebody wanted to build this for me i'd most likely pay for it. depending on how much you would charge to do it. I can and will do the work though. i just need some guidance in this journey. Anyways thanks for reading and hopefully i can get some good information.

Brandon Schlueter

I'm not sure what you mean with "mcu32" and why you would need two of them, maybe you wrote this question in the wrong forum?

This is midibox.org, we are using the hardware platform of uCApps.de

Following tutorial describes how to scan up to 128 buttons with a MBHP_CORE_STM32:

http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Ftutorials%2F010_din%2FREADME.txt

If you are searching for a ready built solution, and don't rely on high flexibility (e.g. programming your own "control logic"), go for Doepfer - they have a USB based button scanner as well.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

http://avishowtech.com/mbhp/mbhp_core32r1.html

so would this board be the one i would need then? another question i have how would i hook the buttons to this. i know i would have to get the j5 boards to hook into that board but i mean the buttons i want to get are sanwa obsf 24. they look like they plug in so would i just solder a wire from them to the j5 boards? I apologize for the questions are posting in the worng forum i'm new to this. So please bare with me.

http://avishowtech.com/mbhp/mbhp_core32r1.html

so would this board be the one i would need then? another question i have how would i hook the buttons to this. i know i would have to get the j5 boards to hook into that board but i mean the buttons i want to get are sanwa obsf 24. they look like they plug in so would i just solder a wire from them to the j5 boards? I apologize for the questions are posting in the worng forum i'm new to this. So please bare with me.

another question should i use ain or din for the buttons?

You want DIN for the buttons.

yeah i figured that out after i ordered ain lol. I didnt read the instruction all the way but i sent them a email so hopefully they can just switch the order to din instead of ain. I was thinking that since arcade buttons were old i assumed that they were analog... but i didnt think about what i was doing lol. like i said i'm new but i will learn this stuff. another question what psu would you recommend for this board a link of where to get it would be useful. I want to implement a led screen where it informs you of what note you are pressing. I know that this will be challenging. I read if your gonna have the lcd screens it's recommended to have a 500 ma psu. I'm just wanting to make this the best i can.