Mutable Instruments Shruthi-1

stuartm

Anybody else got a Shruthi-1 ? (Scroll down for some audio demos !)

I finally got hold of a Shurthi-1 Kit a few weeks ago, a nice little synth by Olivier Gillet from France.

I didn't have the pleasure to build a sammichSID, but the two share a certain look (the Shruthi design is obviously inspired by the sammich).

read all about it here: http://mutable-instruments.net

The Kit that you can order for 150 EUR + shipping includes all the parts, PCBs and acrylic case.

The whole thing is very well designed and the building instructions on the website are outstandingly well done, absolutely noob-friendly.

Building the thing was a real joy, and even more fun is using this little synth!

It's very cleverly done, with a simple but easy to learn menu navigation and some very remarkable features for small Atmel based synth (incl. 12-slot mod-matrix)

Sound-wise, it's basically an 8-bit wavetable synth with an analog filter.

You can choose between diffrent filter boards, the Kit comes with a filter designed by Olivier using available parts (called SMR-4).

Other filter boards are based on CEM or SSM chip, though you'll have to find those old chips yourself.

The SMR-4 filter sounds really good, and being based on a small Atmel PIC and using 8 bit waves, this thing does incredibly good sounds.

The next batch of Kits is in preparation, so if if you have the chance, try to grab on of these.

It's a great DIY synth, maybe some future Midibox projects can also get some inspirations from this!

I'll do some audio and video demos soon. Here's some pictures from building the synth (took about 5 hours):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23516000@N04/sets/72157625962940266/with/5410824077/

Edited by stuartm

I built a Shuthi-1 with modified DIY CEM PCB. It will look bit different at the end as I couldn`t find nice pots, and I don`t like those wobbling Alps that are sold by Farnell. So I`m going with panel mount pots.

I like the synth. It sounds pretty good for what it is. It is definitively inspired by Sammich which is good thing, but it is much smaller than Sammich. I`ll probably make them both look like they are from the same "series".

Cool project. My recommendations!

I got one recently also and then proceeded to ruin the digital controller PCB :-S. In my haste and excitement I managed to solder the 74XXXX logic chips onto the wrong side of the board and no amount of de-soldering would fix it. A VERY painful experience (thanks IRC friends for being so understanding ;-) and one which I will not repeat. WARNING TO ALL = always read the instructions at least three times before doing anything!

Luckily, I managed to get the last remaining PCB from the current batch..... I shall be leaving my ham-fists and cack-hands at the door next time :-)

Edited by toadstool

I haven't built one but I like it.

BTW it wasn't "inspired by" sammichSID... sammichSID was first shown while Oliver had already designed his original Shruti-1. But I will agree that some people's cases are obviously similar:

5033731993_88961f549f.jpg

"Maya" 1/4 by mutable.instruments, on Flickr

Now I'm inspired to do a remix/ripoff of the idea using a Core32 instead :wink:

Davo: Browse the repository and you'll find my "virtual analog" core32 synth. And no, you will not be able to do a "good and authentic" Minimoog Emulation on an stm32. Something that roughly goes in the same direction and is wicked fun to play with - absolutely :)

@toadstool: yeah, the two 74HC's need to be flat on the surface, otherwise they could clash with the filter board, so no socket there. Glad you could grab another PCB

@Wilba: thanks for the info, I didn't dig deep into the original Shruti history. A Core32-based synth sounds .... lovely :ahappy:

@All: here's some audio demo with a bunch of patches I created during the first days of using the Shruthi. Due to the limitied but clear interface, this was a real joy!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...