Midibox CV 1.2 Encoder Troubles

Dave Strength

I"m having trouble getting the encoder data wheel to work on my midibox CV. I'm using a Bourns PEC16-4220F-S0024 24 2 bit gray code encoder.

I've rebuilt and downloaded the application with the changes to setup_j5_enabled.asm including defining the line #define DEFAULT_ENC_DATAWHEEL 0. (Initially i had defined it as 1, but changed to 0). And, I've confirmed the encoder is defined in mios_tables.inc.

The Select and Exit buttons work correctly, so I'm guessing that the DINX4 and CORE is working properly. But, I get no repsonse when jogging the wheel.

This is my first midibox project so I'm somewhat lost here. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

are numbers incremented/decremented when you shortly connect DIN pin 4 and 5 to ground?

No: strange! Did you really recompile the project to generate a new .hex file?

Yes: the encoder pinning is different - check it.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for the ideas. Indeed I built a new hex file (having deleted the old ones just to make sure) and loaded it via MIOS studio.

I performed the test you described in shorting pins 4 and 5 to ground, however this did not produce any results. I think the DIN is working ok since the LCD readoutresponsed to Select and Exit buttons correctly. Also, I think if the changes hadn't been made to the hex file, the Select and Exit functions would be assigned to different pins....as it is now, they are working propely on pins 6 and 7.

I've tried changing the IC's on the DIN, changing the encoder defintion,etc. I've confirmed the wiring on the encoder, and ohmed out the encoder with no wires attached.

Is there anything else you think I might check?