Doug Wellington (MB-808) Contact / Status?

101 Force

I noticed an update from 01/21/2011 on the MB-808 website indicates kits should be available for shipping very soon, but now the website appears to be down. It appears at this time it's not possible to deliver e-mails to "doug@midiboxaddict.com" and "doug@dougwellington.com", and the MB-808 forum has been down for a couple months too. Does anyone know of any other means of contacting Doug Wellington? I know both Doug’s personal life and the MB-808 project itself have been plagued with problems, but I’d like to drop him a line to confirm the status of the third-batch of MB-808 kits, as I am one of the many people who sent him money for deposit on an MB-808 kit from the third batch. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Can somebody please post the MB-808 build docs such as MB-808_Manual_Beta.pdf that used to be hosted here:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PbNjjBmIx7cJ:www.eight-oh-eight.org/Assembly/+mb-808+assembly&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&lr=lang_hr|lang_fr|lang_de|lang_en&client=firefox-a&source=www.google.com

Thanks!

(I checked and there's no archive.org backup of the site)

I'm hoping that the site being down means he's working on getting the forum back up.

No, the sites domain name has expired:

Domain ID:D137058995-LROR

Domain Name:EIGHT-OH-EIGHT.ORG

Created On:12-Jan-2007 01:47:12 UTC

Last Updated On:13-Jan-2011 01:23:43 UTC

Expiration Date:12-Jan-2012 01:47:12 UTC

Sponsoring Registrar:1 & 1 Internet AG (R73-LROR)

Edited by 7hz

Wowsers...

Sorry guys, I don't own the domain - that's up to moogah to take care of. Maybe I'll talk to him about transferring it to me so I can take all the blame...

I try to hang out in the MIDIbox chat every weekday 9AM-6PM U.S. time. As far as I know, my email address doug at midibox addict dot com is completely functional. If you have trouble contacting me via email, please join me in the chat and tell me what error message(s) you have...

As I posted on the web site, the last of the parts are on their way finally, and believe me!, I want to get this thing out of here as much as or more than you want to receive it!!!

Regards,

Doug

EDIT: nILS has a good point, let's stick to one IRC Chat channel... See you on #midibox!

Edited by Doug Wellington

Hi Doug - sorry for getting angry, but it just felt like the plug had been pulled.

That domain name will get snapped up really soon if you guys don't renew it, I'd advise getting onto it ASAP.

Doug, I sent you an email to doug AT midiboxaddict DT com on the 20 January 2011. I didn't receive any bounce or other error message. Maybe you need to check the spam filtering or something on that email address.

Without a functioning website, forum, and email communication, a lot of the people that signed up for and paid their deposit are going to be very worried. Even just sending an email out to us all telling us the latest news every month would be good.

Hi Doug - sorry for getting angry, but it just felt like the plug had been pulled.

Yeah, I understand! The plug got pulled on me too, if you take my meaning...

That domain name will get snapped up really soon if you guys don't renew it, I'd advise getting onto it ASAP.

Yes, thanks, I'm on it...

/me adds one more thing to the list...

:frantics:

How about you guys simply use the midibox forum for the time being? It's sort of a midibox project after all ;) Adding a dedicated section is not really an issue.

I agree.

And Doug,

If you have issues bringing the forum back why don't you have me take a look at it?

Greetz,

Jef

For anyone who's keeping track, the eight-oh-eight.org domain name won't actually expire until 2012. The site is shut down because the hosting payment didn't go through last month. If I don't hear from Moogah by Friday, I'll pay the fee myself...Regards,Doug

Ah sorry, I misread 2012 for 2011!

Doug, if you are overloaded, you need to try to offload tasks onto other people. Keeping a small website and forum running shouldn't be too hard, or if it is, finding and advertising alternatives such as here to people that have paid a deposit should be simple.

I'm sure everyone appreciates you are doing this for the love of it, and you have done a bunch of work and have a bunch of cash tied up in components and boards, and have been sweating it out waiting for the pots. But firing out an email to 40 people letting them know what is happening takes minutes. Not everyone uses IRC. The old forum had a wealth of info on it, do you have a backup that can be reinstated?

Ok, so my bad on eight-oh-eight.org :whistle: but I've fixed the payment information and the site should be back up in a day or so. I'll post here when I've confirmed it's available again!

I also support the idea of folding the MB-808 forum into midibox.org. I started a separate forum back in the day because I was thinking that all the SynthDIY type topics would clutter up the midibox conversations, but we've grown much larger as a community since then and I think there is plenty of room for the boom around here :afro:

But firing out an email to 40 people letting them know what is happening takes minutes.

I assume you got the email I sent out this morning? I had to download my paypal history to get the email addresses. It took me an hour and a half to do that, including the call I had to make to paypal tech support. Then of course, my email provider flagged the message as spam because I exceeded the number of recipients they allow. Sheesh! Heehee...

Regards,

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

I'd like to sign up to get on the list for an MB-808 kit - at least PCBs & PIC. I've tried emailing doug at midibox addicts but did not get a response yet. Is this project going to come to life??

I've just received and built a x0xb0x (great kit) and now starting on the 9090; the 808 is a must-have though, and it looks like a great reengineering job has been done on this too!

Alternatively, if anyone reading this already has the PCB/kit and has second thoughts about constructing and would consider selling, please let me know

cheers

Chris

It's now two months since the "pots are finally on their way" message was posted.

Have the pots arrived?

Has the final cost of the kit been calculated yet?

Is there any timescale for the delivery of the kits (I paid my deposit over a year ago)?

Asking more in hope than expectation....

Edited by jaidee

• 2 weeks later...

I got an email from doug recently, also there's a new post over at the 808 site. The kits are coming soon now, we just need to be patient. He said the initial kit might cost around $200 plus mouser parts but that's not a final price obviously.

• 1 month later...

Over 6 months since the MB808 forum was taken down for "upgrading"

Over 3 months since the "pots are finally on their way" message"

Over 14 months since I paid my $100 deposit (I'm aware that others have been waiting longer)

Patience is beginning to wear thin, and is not helped by Doug's disinclination to post any clear timescale for dispatching the long-awaited kits

Does anyone who has more direct dealings with Doug have any clearer idea of what the current hold-up is or when the kits are going to be sent out?

Any news on this?

Copied from eight-oh-eight

May 14, 2011:

Sigh, OK, I'm past the latest round of emergencies (business trips, April 15 tax day, losing my best friend, dealing with a bad home repair contractor, and now needing a new air conditioning unit on the house. We live in Tucson, Arizona, USA, and it gets a bit warm here in the summer)...

I have a fairly long waiting list now. Sorry to not reply to each of you individually yet. I learned my lesson already and I won't be taking any more deposits until the current batch is completely delivered. I have enough switches and potentiometers to make at least 100 more kits so there should be enough for everyone who has shown interest.

Please check the MIDIbox.org wiki for more information on this project. It's just a place-holder for the moment, but I'll get things uploaded there over the next few days. Since this is a MIDIbox-based project, it really should be kept with the other MIDIbox projects.

As always, if you have questions or concerns about why this project has taken me so long, please contact me at doug (at) midibox addict (dot) com. Please bear with me, I have been on several business trips this year and I don't have Internet or cell access there. When I'm in town, I try to stay connected to the MIDIbox IRC channel. If you have Chatzilla, you should be able to click on this link: irc://irc.mibbit.com/midibox. I'm not on any email lists, and I haven't had time for forums, so I won't see anything that you don't send me directly. I hope that you'll understand that I'd rather spend my time working on this project rather than trying to track down every place on the Internet where there is a question or concern..

• 4 weeks later...