Super cheap 20x4 Green Backlit LCDs

woolsey

While looking for parts for my MB-6852 I stumbled upon Smithy's wiki page:

http://www.midibox.o...u.php?id=Smithy

where he lists sources for his control surface parts. He noted that divineo.com had cheap LCDs (the link on the wiki pointed to a discontinued SKU, however) and I was blown away to find this:

http://www.divineo.com/magento/big-lcd-green.html

20x4 STN Gray. Positive. Transflective. Green Array LED Backlight. $0.94 ea

from Crystalfontz CFAH2004A-GGB-JP

Shipping to USA (well, at least California) was $6.99 for up to 2, $9.99 for up to 5. So for $14.69 you could get five 20x4 LCDs.

Now, from the looks of these, and since Crystalfontz has since discontinued them, I would guess they are not the highest quality. Probably wouldn't necessarily want to use it for a finished project, but good for backups and or debugging purposes. Or, if you are on a super tight budget.

Edited by woolsey

Thanks for the tip!

Note that discontinued doesn't mean they're not good quality... LCD manufacturers will often discontinue a model and replace it with an exactly identical model with perhaps a newer controller or different backlight.

Note that discontinued doesn't mean they're not good quality... LCD manufacturers will often discontinue a model and replace it with an exactly identical model with perhaps a newer controller or different backlight.

Good to know. I just ordered a pair of these. Once I get them and can fire them up I'll update with my experience.