julianf

ya, i had well understood. you asked what could be the problem with a UNIQUE faceplate, so i pointed out from my experience : i've build several project, midibox or not, and each time faced to boring problems like US vs EU design, an american screw not fitting in an EU spacer for example ; btw, s.o know why ??)

i had found that the simple blind holes you did on the back was rather cool as it let me use whatever i wanted (or could find !) : spacer, screw or metal wire. associated to JB Weld, it is rather strong

I actually like this idea. It would be nice for those of us who aren't comfortable with JB Weld and the like to mount the new PCB to the panel.

As far as the aesthetics goes, I think the screws could add something to the overall look. Depending on what type of screws you use, it could add an interesting industrial feel to the overall sequencer.

That's my 2¢.

How about a more old school professional compromise: Do a clean, thin front panel, then a thicker sub panel that carries all main mounted parts.

I have a local engraver who can do back milled plastic, which can then be filled and painted, or have a paper backing fitted. This gives a clean look, with engraving which can't get full of dirt, and is easy to clean. I'm sure Julian can do something similar, and the top layer is a lower cost material. The sub panel can support all the parts, so long as it is fitted with countersunk screws, and doesn't have to be made of expensive smooth anodised material.

Just a thought, anyway.

I havent calculated the pricing on the panel in the photos - to be honest, i was thinking that there would be more enthusiasim in the 'concept' of a more affordable build, before even getting down to the numbers : (

You may find more enthusiasm once people actually knew how much they could save compared to the original solution - how much was that again (not Schaeffer's price, but your's)?