Mixing and matching SIDs?

Eveready9v

So after having completed my sammichSID, I come to discover that one of my 6581's are bad, but I do have lying around an 8580, is it possible to have two different SIDS in one unit, as long as I have the appropriate filter caps changed? I feel as if this may be frowned upon but just figured I'd check. Thanks Barry

It's a pity when a SID turns out to be broken..

When combining the two SID's you have to keep in mind that they have a different sound. It depends a bit on the way you want to use the sammichSID. If you want it to be dual-mono, I think it is not a problem and soundwise you even have more 'options'. But in stereo mode I would prefer the two SID's to sound as close as possible.

Addition: If you are going to put in a 8580, be sure not to only switch the capacitors, but als make sure you run the 8580 on 9V. The 6581 uses 12V which will fry the 8580. Thinking of it, I'm not sure if the sammichSID is capable of supplying different voltages to each SID, you might want to check that first!

Edited by Flying Panther

I was under the impression that it is not easily possible to mix the 6581 and the 8580/6582 in the Sammich. There are a number of jumpers which set the overall power to 9V or 12V.

Yep, this is correct.

From the sammichSID manual:

SID Voltage Jumpers

The L-shaped header JP controls the voltage supplied to both SIDs. It will supply both SIDs with power

from either the regulated 9V supply on the base PCB (i.e. directly from the 7809 voltage regulator) or

from the input power supply which must be regulated 12V DC.

So basically you cant use a 6581 and an 8580 together, if you set the voltage to 12V, the 8580 will blow.

Has any actually tried supplying 9V to a 6581?

I wonder if it would make any sound at all, probably not.

If you're willing to cut tracks and do some interesting things, you could possibly wire the 6581 to your 12VDC input (assuming you have 12VDC coming in) and can just use the 7809 regulator for the 8580. Seems like that would work but I have never even though about doing a mod like that on my Sammich, so it was just a thought :)

last year i once put a 6581 into a 8580 sid module. it worked, as far as i can tell, just the same. it needs to be said that i'm no expert in terms of how sid should sound as i'm still building that synth and haven't played much. the reason was to try if the 6581 works at all, as i had trouble with the 6581 sid module (the core kept rebooting). it was a short between the rails on my sid modules. both 6581 i've tried are still working now in their proper modules.

Found a thread on it, seems it worked for other people too Rosch, but the filters can sound weird.

I wonder if you could use different capacitor values to get it to sound closer:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/forums/index.php?roomid=7&topicid=2096

"But beware: One chip cost's US$25, excluding shipping, you get 3 C64s on the local fleamarket for the same money."

AHHHH, the good oul days when sids were as cheap as chips!

Edited by Smithy

There is also some instructions here, on how use a 6581 in an 8580 socket by using modifications:

http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=387560&sid=71cfeccb8dbf2620921523a4c1bfa56c

And btw, our very own Flemmiwinks started the thread also. :thumbsup:

or mebbé a Flem-clone.

Edited by Smithy

true, i haven't tried the filter. i believe it was just the default patch and maybe 1 or two value changes. i took them out again after a few minutes, as it was just an attempt to test so i could exclude that it was the chip not working.