MBSID v3?

Shiftone

Just wondering if there are any more details on the update. I'm just about to start my v2 project but if there is a significant update on the cards I may hold off.

Will v3 still be based on modular boards or is it going to have a more unified approach like Sammich and MB-6582.

I tried searching but unfortunately "MBSID" & "v3" are not valid search terms.

Hi Shiftone!

I don't know the answer to the status of V3 but you may find more in the SVN repository (details are on the wiki I believe) since that is where the V3 code would live. I would bet that, just like V2, V3 will allow both modular and unified designs. There is no reason not to and doing so allows for the most flexibility of all types of designs.

I believe so yeah but I can't remember where I read that :) I suspect it may be a ways before we'll see that solution though. It's not stopping me from moving forward with my own v2 SID design anyway. I recall Wilba mentioning that it may be possible to add the STM32 CORE as an add-on to the MB-6582 so as long as one has space of it in their chassis (or uses some external solution) we could be in business without a lot of modifications?

Too soon to say and I'll admit I actually know comparatively little about the MBSID v3 project :)

You won't find details yet, as the project is still in the definition phase.

I'm targeting end of this year for a first public release - hardware can change until then.

Meanwhile I'm sure that it will be possible to upgrade an existing MBSID V2 (also MB-6582 and sammichSID) by connecting the new core32 module (*not* MBHP_CORE_STM32) via a simple two-wire CAN cable.

PIC18F4685 will still be required to adapt the SIDs to the Core32 module, otherwise SID accesses would slow down the CPU too much.

Also the existing CS can be re-used.

So, must users only have to build a new core module and connect it to their existing MBSID V2 - thats all!

They could build it into a breakout box.

As a bonus they will get two MIDI IOs, USB, Ethernet (for OSC) and more.

So, the core32 module will also be a nice MIDI interface replacement, and you could control your MBSID with an iPad/iPhone (or similar) as well if the ethernet interface is connected to a WiFi router.

But MBSID V3 will also provide a shiny new (still DIY friendly) CS for improved usage - just two words: Hires-OLED and mulicolour! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Because with a STM32F103RE it isn't possible to run USB and CAN in parallel, and the alternative STM32F105 derivative has only 256k flash maximum, which isn't sufficient for the software.

I was waiting more than 2 years for a real alternative... but no suitable soluation from STM.

So I tried a NXP LPC17 derivative instead and it's much better for the intended usecase.

Not only that USB, CAN can run in parallel, and that an ethernet controller is integrated (unfortunately w/o PHY)... the performance is almost twice as good, giving me more headroom for more features (and/or extremely high update rates)

The price is the same - so no real need to stick on a STM32 anymore.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks TK,

all the answers I was after - I'll go ahead with my v2 Core8 based synth for now. Just didn't want to go to the trouble of building a Core8 if the new Core32 was just around the corner but as it is slated year end - that sounds like a nice xmas project.

Does this mean the new CS will have a graphical interface? How excited am I!

yes, for those who are planning to build a new case.

all the answers I was after - I'll go ahead with my v2 Core8 based synth for now. Just didn't want to go to the trouble of building a Core8 if the new Core32 was just around the corner but as it is slated year end - that sounds like a nice xmas project.

You can be sure that there will be an inexpensive and simple upgrade path! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who prefer pictures:

mbhp_core_lpc17_proto3.jpg

The LPCXPRESSO board is worldwide available for ca. 20 EUR + taxes: http://www.embeddedartists.com/products/lpcxpresso/lpc1769_xpr.php

It's completely presoldered and tested.

It will be put on top of the MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module which will provide the PSU and interfaces to the MIDIbox Hardware Platform.

-> back to DIY friendly design! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

YAY4Photos!

That caused a follow-up question though :) That board looks like a standard dev-board, so does that mean it would be possible to purchase a board with all the tiny SMD parts and simply add things to it, or if there going to be a CORE board with the chip on it directly (much like the STM32)?

That caused a follow-up question though :) That board looks like a standard dev-board, so does that mean it would be possible to purchase a board with all the tiny SMD parts and simply add things to it, or if there going to be a CORE board with the chip on it directly (much like the STM32)?

The MBHP_CORE_LPC17 board will require this standard development board called LPCXPRESSO.

So, in distance to MBHP_CORE_STM32 the chip + additional circuitry (like Ethernet PHY, small I2C EEPROM, crystals) won't be part of the board anymore.

The kids would call it "shield" ;)

This means also, that it will be possible to provide different variants for different purposes, or that somebody solders the additional components on a vero board like I did, e.g. to customize the interfaces/plugs for his case.

mbhp_core_lpc17_proto2.jpg

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I thought it might be that. Sounds pretty neat all told, and it still looks like some single-board solutions (like the MB-6582) could be possible by simply having a section where one would plugin the dev board. Excited to see this mature into something cool for sure!