can replacing components give better sound quality

Echopraxia

Could play with some filtering caps on the audio pipeline, but if the noise in the SID or OPL3 is bothering, you can try to filter it in post. I haven't noticed any major issues with noise on my SIDs (don't have my FM synth built yet). I have 6582's though and they are a good deal better than my single 6581. Just part of the draw and intrigue of using vintage sound chips.

Thew question is a bit like asking what to do to make your car faster... What exactly are you trying to achieve? What exactly is the part that's causing you enough audible pain to want to change parts?

Just some hum. That's it. I do not know enough about capacitors ,resistor, op amps, crystals etc. I love my little guys and want to give them some love in the signal path. If its not possible no worries. I just thought that maybe you could replace some parts in the opl3 module to maybe help reduce the hum. I was using post filtering on the tracks to make it go away. Should I get some super nice ribbon cable to go from the audio out on the board to the audio jacks and get some nice audio jacks? I guess that would be a good place to start but where could I find a nice cable to run to the jacks from the baord? Its all gold plated up to the ribbon cable so maybe this would help?

Can it really go faster....?

humming could either be a ground loop somewhere, or a rest of AC on the power line.

maybe you could check that every part of the circuit has just one connection to ground.

as for the cables you could use the shielded type (again just one side of the shield connected to ground) but that has more effects on microphone or guitar inputs, as the level there is much lower than in the output cables. but who knows...

edit: also, if there are AC wires it's good to keep audio away from them.

and finally if nothing helps you can try and twist the power and ground supply cables round each other.

but that may all be overkill, idk

Edited by rosch

• 4 weeks later...