sammichFM behaving oddly **FIXED**

Siempre La Luna

I hate to say it though, I think the blanked-out LEDs are the crucial bit of the SLL edition.

Damn! So close, so close...

BTW Did you get the blue Optrex recommended by Wilba (C-51505NFQJ-LB-AJN)? Mine is a little dimmer than I would like. The backlight pot has zero effect both with and without JR4A. Contrast is set to max (or is it min?). So does the backlight pot do anything on yours?

Thx,

C

Damn! So close, so close...

BTW Did you get the blue Optrex recommended by Wilba (C-51505NFQJ-LB-AJN)? Mine is a little dimmer than I would like. The backlight pot has zero effect both with and without JR4A. Contrast is set to max (or is it min?). So does the backlight pot do anything on yours?

Thx,

C

Wilba hooked me up with that display so I don't have an order form or packing slip around that has the model number on it, but I think it's safe to assume they are the same. I don't recall mine being particularly responsive to changes on the dimmer control. I built that one for my girlfriend and it's now living in her studio on the other side of town so I can't check it out at the moment. The display being kind of dark compared to the LEDs was part of the reason why I painted the LEDs in the first place though. I'll check out the backlight pot this evening and let you know what I come up with.

The backlight pot has zero effect both with and without JR4A. Contrast is set to max (or is it min?). So does the backlight pot do anything on yours?

I can confirm that the backlight pot has no effect on the display. Weird. I hadn't noticed that when I first assembled it. Mine is pretty bright though. Can you post a photo of yours? If we compare them we might be able to determine if yours is oddly dark, mine is oddly bright, or if they are the same and we just have different definitions of bright and dark.

Will do tomorrow. Glad to hear your pot does nothing either. I compared the brightness to my MB-6582 and to be honest it is about the same as the CrystalFontz display I used. However I have some very nice Optrex 2x40 displays (from the bulk order I ran a whIle back) for MB-SEQ and they are much brighter.

It's probably fine but I'll post a pic that hopefully will help.

Thx,

C

Here's a pic. As I suspected the exposure time completely changes how it looks. I wish it were half as bright as in the picture. Ah, well. It's good enough and is a nice display so I should probably stop whining about it and start using the sammichFM!

Thx,

C

post-6425-061011300 1307077398_thumb.jpg

Siempre has the same display as "recommended" by me (I guess)... it's the Optrex C-51505NFQJ-LB-AJN

I have tested mine and it works but I didn't fiddle with brightness control much... I don't remember if the brightness pot did anything or not. I do know from past experience that the Optrex STEP displays are different to normal LCDs... I'm guessing they like a straight 5V supply on the backlight and not any fancy current limiting.

I'll do some more tests when I get back home next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought, it's a good idea to throw in a picture of my LED painting progress. Actually airbrushed it, but haven't tested the bightness yet. They are Kingbright 100mcd. Wish me luck guys. I probably need some more days for finally assembling it. Voltage tests, case letter painting and LED soldering aren't still done yet. Plus a ton of other stuff to do besides assembling the Sammich.

post-7120-050852000 1308675050_thumb.jpg

So I'm pretty much complete with assembling the Sammich, just ruined the case lettering with a bad matching color. :phone: Hope I can fix that. But I'm very happy with the coloring of my kit :heart: Here is a shot. Did I mention that the usual suspects did an amazing job on designing the whole kit? I can tell you they did!

post-7120-088726700 1309284228_thumb.jpg