Finding drums for electronic music?

m00dawg

I love synths - obviously if I'm a big MidiBoxer :) But one issue I always neglect is drums. I have some cool options for drums with my MB-SID and MB-FM synths but sometimes I just want a high quality sort of "standard" EDM drum set. Anyone know where I can find something like that? I'm not really looking for the 'kit' style plugins since I do mostly electronic music and sometimes having a standard set really throws things off. Instead, I was thinking of using some of the drum add-ons to Native Instruments' Kore Player.

I am looking for both breakbeat type stuff (or just loops in general that I can splice) as well as well organized patch-sets. I like Kore Player because the instruments are already mapped and ready to go, but it seems to be stripped down and I don't know how to change the characteristics beyond what it lets me do.

I have Ableton Live so patch-sets that work with the drum pad plugin would work too.

Thoughts?

As my laptop isn't that fast, I'm not really up to date on the drumsoftware, but I really like NI's Battery 3. Basically it's a drumsampler that comes with a great collection of sounds. Of course a lot of acoustic kits, but also some very nice electronic kits. And it's a sampler, so you can always use (and do advanced edits on) other samples.

I also have a Korg Electribe R, but for me those sounds are often too limited. After I got Battery, I mainly use the Korg as a stepsequencer/midicontroller to control Battery with.

Other software I don't have much experience with, but heard good things about:

Spectrasonics Stylus RMX for loop based drums

FXpansion GURU (drum sampler / stepsequencer). I think they discontued GURU in favour of Geist..

Actually I like Battery 3 (and to some degree GEIST). The problem is that I dunno if I want to spend that much money getting something I already have. Live's drum sampler plug-in is pretty nice. I've made a few kits based upon samples from my Virus and MB-SID and it was pretty easy to do. The biggest problem I have is lack of samples. Battery looks like it has tons of samples, but I couldn't find a lot of examples that fit what I wanted.

Going to grab the demo though - I really like NI stuff. They aren't cheap but man I love my Audio4 and Traktor. Man they sure entice you with Komplete though, but I don't have $600 to drop on all that at the moment.

Oh man I totally forgot about Audio Damage! I think their drum sequencer is a bit limited for what I need at the $79 price but some of their other effect VSTs...mmmm....

I made a quick demo for Battery 3 just messing around so I could show a friend, and here are the results if anyone was interested.

Going to keep looking at both the stuff from Audio Damage, and NI. I *really* like that Battery 3 has retriggers, although you can't turn them on and off via MIDI (so I have to copy the drums and place them in slots if I want to do that).

I also found loopmasters.com and found a patch-set I think I'm going to try. Battery is probably the best value and has some neat features to it. None that I can't do in Live but all that I can do easier in Battery - at least when it comes to individual samples and stuff. Just less work. So may end up getting that at some point. Wish I was able to get a better preview of what came with Battery - if I could find that I might just up and buy it :)

I think I'm going to drop the sample packs I find on loopmasters.com first just to see if that scratches my itch for a while.

Thanks everyone all the helpful insight!

• 3 months later...

I bought the Imea sequencer which also includes a drum sequencer you can have a play with the trial version here

http://www.imea-stud...umsCreator.aspx

I think it's a great bit of kit,you can save the patterns as wav files and import them into your daw.

At the time of writng it only had midi in but will run as a Vsti (only the standalone drum version not the sequencer).........but worth taking the trial in my opinion,plus it only costs around 18 euro.

cheers

Paul

Edited by taximan

• 2 months later...

Im also very interested if anyone knows of a good library for electronic drums one shots. Basically I want to upgrade the sounds ive loaded into my ESX as im already tired of them. Im not interested in any acoustic or realistic sounds, but purely electronic or synthesised one shot WAVs. Ive been struggling around the web to find something suitable.

Basicall I dont want to sink money into a library thats something like:

2000 drum loops!

hundreds of bass and synth loops!

a couple folders of ones hots!...meh

Thats what I seem to be finding most of and it would be a waste of my money as all I want are one shots for my ESX. Any ideas? Im willing to spend a good amount if its entirely or at least mostly one shots Im just struggling to find something suitable.