Waldorf Microwave Programmer

pat_00

So I recently acquired a Waldorf Microwave 1.

This thing sounds amazing! But is a bit of a pain to program. So I want to build a programmer for it. Something similar to the old Access one, but maybe with expanded functions. It will be based around a Midibox64 (I already have most modules built).

Anyone here have any experience with a similar project? Or with this synth?

These "programmer" projects are very interesting - I managed to obtain a Yamaha FS1R last week and while the preset soundz rock the house, its user interface feels like it was made by the pope - "no sins if you go to bed early".

So I am interested in your progress - would you document it?

If I had enough time to build one, I would start using a new LPC17 core, a nice screen (e.g. the OLED from the MBSID V3) for graphical parameter display... and enough "overloaded" buttons and encoders to control every significant parameter of the unit.

Best regards,

Hawkeye

Totally OT: Have you seen the iPad editor for the FS1r? Still, dedicated hardware would rock my rack (that's what she said, constable)... I guess one could freely borrow layout ideas from it if nothing else. Oh, and they have a few Waldorf editors (not the uWave) to look at.

Oh, and congrats on getting a great synth - it kicks ass IMHO :afro:

sorry for OT:

@olga42 (why did you change your name, it was so nice ;-) ?)

Thx dude :-) I have already used the windows-based editors - they are nice but you need a computer and have no dedicated knobs which always feel better :-) - same goes for the ipad for me. It feels like a virtual girlfriend :-).

It would be a dream to be able to configure the 8+8 FM Operators of the FS1R with about 32 encoders and have a graphical display to reflect the settings :). Maybe later on, or I can convince the Antix-MIDIbox factory to work that out for me :D. The unit rockz and i can recommend it to everyone looking for FM heaven :) - will do an audio demo when i have some patches ready (hard to learn fm stuff when you just know subtractive theory).

Greetz and now back on-topic... :-)

Edited by Hawkeye

I will try to document it. Although it will be slow as I have a billion other diy synth projects on the go.

A question about 'value pickup' or whatever you call it. How does this work on the mb64? Say i change the patch on the rack unit, will the mb64's brain know what the new settings are and hold those values until you rotate the pot to that amount? I want to use pots instead of encoders, as I hate encoders and already have buckets of pots.

That can only work if the MIDIbox knows the current parameter settings, i.e. you will have to send the patch data to the MIDIbox upon a patch change, write the code to interpret that patch data in the MIDIbox, and then it will work! Out of the box, MB64 cannot do that.