start of first project by newbie

bent

Ok, first of all.... Hello everybody !!!!! :wink:

I'm new, and this is my first topic... :baby:

dont know if i post at the right place?

My background;

- build a lot of DIY stuff, got almost every tool's need, can read and create schematic, design and build pcb, ect...

- My only experience in programming was 5 years ago, create a little web page, and a little game of memory,i think in C or C++ ( stuff like IF...ELSE) but everything is way back ....

What bring me here:

- Need's for MIDI controller

- Thrill of learning programming so i can really DIY my stuff like i want it.... :devil:

My project;

- Simple ( i think, and hope :D )

- i need a MIDI controller that will on/off relays, in respond of Program Change (PC) and Control Change (CC) received from a master controller...

- the controller will drive NPN transistor for switching state of the relays

- can save the configuration for recall, exemple: PC#113 relay1=on, relay2=off, relay3=on, relay4=on, relay5=off, ect....

- i can turn on/off each relays with a spst switch ( on the box) , and CC# ( send from a master controller).

- save the new configuration for recall. saving feature...

- GLCD (or LCD if a GLCD is too hard) for display the PC# in use, and menu feature ( editing the CC# for each relays),

- maybe new option will be had, as i build the unit....

So after, reading, reading, and reading....I think, the best would be to use something like the MIDI64 or MIDIO128 (since digital ouput can drive NPN transistor)..and i will need few switch for the menu option, and a switch for every relay, so if i need more i just add extra board...

Where i'm getting lost:

- the CORE....i dont understand how to choose this part.... :frantics:

- PIC (PIC16, PIC18 ), STM32, LPC17, CORE8, CORE32, ouch!..... :w00t:

Probably, some would say- take this one.... but i would like to understanding why ?

Edited by bent

after searching and reading again....

i found out (if i'm not mistaking), THAT:

- MIDIO128, Midibox64, ect... are complete "project" to build or modify....

- you can choose whatever core you want...

keep searching....

Welcome on board! :flowers:

MIDIO128 is a complete app, which runs on core8 (with pic18f...) and is quite close to what you want.

Unfortunately it has not been ported to core32 yet, which would make customization of the code much easier.

But since you said, you had some experience in C, you could get a lpc17 and work through these tutorials.

Welcome on board! :flowers:

MIDIO128 is a complete app, which runs on core8 (with pic18f...) and is quite close to what you want.

Unfortunately it has not been ported to core32 yet, which would make customization of the code much easier.

But since you said, you had some experience in C, you could get a lpc17 and work through these tutorials.

thank's Imp!

I,ll have a look !!!!!