MIDIbox SEQ Aluminium Desktop Case

TK.

new customer meaning buying from Heidenreich directly right? Not some one form MB Fourms?

That is correct.

I'll have to look into why the LPC would not fit. It seems like there would be plenty of space.

TK posted "Meanwhile I think that it should also be considered to slightly increase the case size for the new MBHP_CORE_LPC17 module, especially if you want to plan with future buyers."

I doubt that you will find the post this quote is from but I can confirm that the case is a little too small.

Tim..

Edited by gomiboy99

The issue with making the cases bigger is that it would require extra time, work, and money to get it right. Until SmashTV runs out of Core32 boards, there's no need to bother with all that.

At some point, it was even suggested that we should continue to use Core32 for SEQ projects so that SmashTV wouldn't get stuck with a big pile of 'obsolete' boards after other projects switched over to using the LPC. Seems like it would be a good idea to keep using the existing case design for as long as Core32 supplies will allow.

Edited by nangu

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where the distance between the centers of the threadded fixings on the front panel rails are mentioned?

Ive looked through all the datasheets that i can find, and cant find the measurement anywhere!

To clarify -

The top surface fits against two rails that run the length of the case. One option (which is what Wilba has chosen) is to profile the edges of the panel to slide into the recess in these rails, but another option is to use the 'tapped strips' (rather like eueorack subracks) that were supplied with the cases, and mount the front panel to these.

However, as i say, i cant find the details for the centers anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you,

Julian

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi there,

i finished my midibox seq v4 a while ago and i'm still missing a case.

Anyone who is interrested in ordering a Midibox SEQ V4 case big enough to fit the LPC board from Heidenreich?

If there are enough people (>10) I will agree to setup/manage a new bulk order.

Cheers

Sascha

• Like 1

i finished my midibox seq v4 a while ago and i'm still missing a case.

Anyone who is interrested in ordering a Midibox SEQ V4 case big enough to fit the LPC board from Heidenreich?

If there are enough people (>10) I will agree to setup/manage a new bulk order.

Count me in for two, please. Not sure if the new dimensions were measured already, though.

I'm currently building the SEQ4 with a LPC core and a Heidenreich case. All what is left is the frontpanel, which will be delivered in a few days (damn you Santa for holding up business! )

So basically some cable crimping and some glue work needs to be done (PCBs are already soldered). I reckon that it'll take a good month to finish the SEQ4 with all necessary precision. I'll post pics when it's ready. 

Btw: check out: there's already an acrylic case available...

Edited by kristal=

Thanks Kristal for documenting your build!

Than more reports from different people, than less troublesome for most others! :)

Btw.: an alternative report from Orange_hand can be found here:

Resp. here: http://www.sequencer.de/synthesizer/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=70858&start=75

Unfortunately in german - but it has many pictures! ;-)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mhh, the design of the CS PCB could be revised one day... I don't want to use metal standoff there (1mm gap). So my (untested) solution are nylon standoffs with JB Weld in it. Therefore my whole SEQ4 assembly will be further delayed by some weeks.

So basically some cable crimping and some glue work needs to be done (PCBs are already soldered). I reckon that it'll take a good month to finish the SEQ4 with all necessary precision. I'll post pics when it's ready. 

post-7120-0-35752700-1391168039_thumb.jp

post-7120-0-44269000-1391168041_thumb.jp

post-7120-0-60047200-1391168043_thumb.jp

It'll work, that's for sure, but it isn't best practice IMO. I try the nylon standoff route and if I fail, I'll go back to the metal standoff route.

Edit: Weird, I discuss these things on the forum and I come up with a easy fix, that hasn't occured to me before. Just put a nylon washer under the metal standoff and it does the job fine. Doh! :tongue:  Could have saved me some epoxy grinding and time.. LOL.

Edit2: Now I understand why I did it. I only had metal standoffs, but no washers at home, when I discovered the tight standoff situation. So I ordered nylon washers, nylon nuts and nylon standoffs at the same time, not realizing I only need the washers :)

Edited by kristal=

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Okay, freddy wrote me a PM about the status of my case.

Status is:

Everything is soldered but the CS isn't working and I haven't figured out what's wrong there. What I have figured out is, that the LPC17 fits the original TK case (I bought one from orange_hand, thanks again!). But the MIDI sockets and the USB socket have to be outsourced on a separate breakout board (the back panel has to be redesigned, too I guess. I have a STM32 core as well, so I haven't thought about that yet).

I will post some pics of the breakout board, the LPC17 core and the TK case at the end of the week. There have some knobs to be shipped as well.

Additional thoughts about a bulk order:

Big bulk orders by untrusty individuals are meh. I experienced this first-hand. Another thing are the prices. Schaeffer wants ~200EUR for a single front panel excl. shipping, that's really expensive. So for example, if ken wants to buy 2 cases, he has to pay for 2 expensive front panels plus shipping. And additional shipping for the cases, which are quite heavy as well. TK's case + front panel weighs ~ 1,9 kg. Speak of enormous shipping cost with DHL, if you order panel and case individually. Japan is extra expensive, too (~ 45EUR if I'm correct)

Solution for this problem:

I talked to Frank (forum username: Roelli / frontpanels.de) and he wants around 130-150EUR for a proper front panel. He got endorsements from orange_hand and Nils and he also gave me a good price for my front panel. The idea is: if people who are interested in TK's original case would also order the front panel from Frank, lots of unnecessary shipping and manufacturing costs could be saved.

Let's imagine a first round where 10 people order the front panels from Frank, they pay him and he's sending them to me. I in the mean time order 10 cases at Heidenreich and bundle them up individually in a single box, which then can be send priority worldwide via Deutsche Post as a Maxibrief International 2kg + full insurance and tracking for 17EUR + ~ 5EUR insurance.

One would save the expensive international DHL shipping cost (~34 EUR) - twice - and also would save 50EUR on the front panel. That's a saving of minimum 70EUR.

If a solution for the back panel has been found, one could easily order it from Frank as well. The back panel so lightweight, it fits a priority Maxibrief International 1kg + full insurance and tracking for ~12EURs. Pay Frank some extra gas money for the post office and - nevertheless - you'll save 30% compared to Schaeffer.

Also the risk of huge sum failings is mitigated. Front panels are paid at Frank directly and a 10 unit case bulk order isn't a big deal from my side. It's definitely manageable, as I showed with my larger knob bulk orders. A lot of money has already been saved on front panels and shipping costs, so it isn't necessary anymore to pile up unmanageable quantities of cases just to save 10 EUR.

That's all from my side, I've got a knobs bulk order to finish and some non-Midibox work to do, please expect delayed responses. Talk to you guys later.

Best regards

Martin

I appreciate your activities! :)

Please consider to make a backpanel for the new MBHP_CORE_STM32F4 module instead of MBHP_CORE_LPC17 (the new module is already available in SmashTVs shop)

I consider to work on an enhanced version (called "MIDIbox V4 Plus") which will utilize the additional resources of the STM32F4

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Martin,

did I get it right that you *might* be willing to organize a bulk order (when the time comes) for e.g. 10 Heidenreich cases with TK's dimensions as long as front panels are sorted out individually (or doing BO for that one as well)? The actual number depends on the guys who will be in, I guess. Regardless I'm still in for two cases, I already do have front panels (even without the cut out but I'll fix the CS PCB in a way orange_hand or TK have described, so no biggie for me), I only have to sort out back panel but I'll definitely do that individually.

Thanks,

Adrien

Thanks Thorsten, that's nice to hear. :smile:

@ TK & freddy:

So my idea was to organize a bulk order for the case and the front panel as a bundle, since I'm able to control the quality in the land of origin. If the bulk happens, the ordered cases will be double checked with the case I have on my bench.

If someone wants the front panel or the case individually, well, that can be arranged, too. The idea of the bundle is to save the shipping costs, but no problem to send them separately.

For the back panel and the break out board: I hope that these can be designed by professionals or independently for special wishes (On-off-switch, QuadIIC board, CV ports etc.)

Actually I'm not able to design schematics and designing a back panel is something, I haven't done yet. But I can provide the case for those professionals. If they come up with a solution, the back panel can be included in future bulks or ordered separately from frontpanels.de

post-7120-0-08404500-1400919160_thumb.jp

post-7120-0-48742000-1400919162_thumb.jp

post-7120-0-69910200-1400919164_thumb.jp

Edited by kristal=

Next stop: mailing Wilba & orange_hand for permission of their front panel design. Then informing Roelli & Heidenreich about my plans. I hope I can present an estimate of costs for frontpanel, 2 LCD windows, case & shipping by the middle of next week.

Would be really great if this happend!

Stay tuned!  :smile:

Edited by kristal=