WTB: MB6582 Window

orange_hand

Hi,

the one on the right hand side looks quite ok. I think it is easier to use a milling machine and produce the window from one single piece instead of gluing things together ....

Cheers

orange

The one one the right does look best. But since he uses a laser he cannot cut it out of 1 piece. So he made one big piece of 2.5mm and one piece of 1.5mm. However there is a big chip of the corner of the 2.5mm piece.

I'll have a little chat with him and see how confident he is about getting this right. The way it is now, i am not organizing a bulk order.

Edited by Shuriken

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only update i have is, that there is no update. :whistle:

I haven't had any response yet on my last e-mail to manufacturer.

By the way this is progressing, i wouldn't count on any real group buy till October. Until then i am not really keeping a list of interested people.

Edited by Shuriken

I paid $6.92USD (+ shipping) for 4x windows to suit 2x40 LCDs. They fit almost perfectly with a tiny bit of sanding to the window at the corners, though I'm sure I could have altered the design to suit. Done at ponoko using 3mm clear acrylic, but they also have various tints and thicknesses down to 2mm in clear.

Pic added to my gallery here:

I can do a brief guide on getting them to fit if anyone would like to try.

Edited by findbuddha

@Antix, yes it is the same as from the Tutorial...

Orange_hand just wrote me, that reboot did his - maybe he would be up for a group order?

I am a bit concerned regarding the thickness of this thing though (there is not much room to my VFD front glass).

How thick is the Ponoko variant?

Greets,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

My Ponoko windows are 3mm thick, 1 piece. They are not glued, simply dimensioned correctly to be held in with friction. I believe this is how the sammich* kits work (I used tips from Wilba to do this).

2mm thick clear is also available from Ponoko New Zealand. I haven't checked the other hubs.

I'm not sure how well it would work with thinner front panels (mine is 3mm acrylic). Also, my LCD will be flush with the rear of the panel/window - Optrex LCD + 9mm spacer.

Thanks for your info, findbuddha -

i think we need extruded units like these from orange_hand, with the possibility to glue them to the backside of the panel - the MB6582 panels are only 1.5mm thick...

Orange_hand, could you please measure the thickness of your windows for us? Thanks!

Greets and have a fine evening!

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

I asked Twin-X about the windows. He made those windows himself. He used to have a CNC machine. However he sold that one and is currently building another. That will take considerable time. So don't hold your breath.

Edited by Shuriken

Hi Guys,

My windows are 1,5 mm + 1,5 mm. But I think 1,5 mm (the part that goes into the panel) and 1mm or 0,5 mm would also be ok, especially for those who want to move the display closer to the window. As you can see in the Tips&Tricks section, I have got a spacer in between the PCB and the Display in form of a hex nut (0,5 mm). So this distance could be reduced as well, if necessary ...

Cheers

orange

maybe we could also ask julianF? idk, maybe he's interested, as he's already producing the MB6582 and Seq panels...

just an idea, as the milled plexi would be the most preferrable solution, no?

from my impression the ones from twin-x were looking great.

btw i also need two SeqV4 windows!

Edited by rosch

Hi,

I have already had a conversation with Julian a couple of weeks or month ago and he didn't want to produce them. His concern was the availability of the acrylic glas with the appropriate thickness in the first place. But I also believe this might not be a valuable business for him to invest into :-)

I have now dropped reboot a message with the background asking for a bulk production. I would appreciate if we could channel the communication through me, in order not to spam his mailbox. I will keep you guys informed !

Cheers

orange

Edited by orange_hand