SEQV4 with integrated 16x8 BLM

dustdrive

Dear Forum,

I am reading ucapps.de and midibox.org since the start of this year. Überwältigend! I dont want to fill this text with hippiesk love attacks to all very active members of this forum and ucapps.de (and Thorsten Klose of course….) - I love it! You changed my life - ok, I will stop here.

I want to build a modified version of the SEQ V4, with integrated Button Led Matrix (BLM), based on the blm_scalar.

I draw a SEQ V4 frontpanel using Wilba's frontpanel and added a integrated 16x8 BLM with lividinstruments pcb's and buttons and one-colored red LED's.

EDIT: sorry, I forgot the link: lividinstrument's buttons

Now Im in the final stage to send my drawing to the Schaeffer AG, who will produce the frontpanel. (a few font issues left…)

I wanted to post the frontpanel before, perhaps you have some good critic….

As soon as I get the frontpanel and everything is working I will post the .fdp and cad-files + parts guide, if there is interest.

The frontpanel is really expensive (more than the double of Wilba's), so if you have ideas for making it cheaper, I would be very grateful (for example the 128 hidden holes from the back of the panel for the BLM - 0,70euro per hole…)

seqV4_incl_BLM_dustdive_2011_50procent.pdf

thank you.

Edited by dustdive

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The frontpanel is really expensive (more than the double of Wilba's), so if you have ideas for making it cheaper, I would be very grateful (for example the 128 hidden holes from the back of the panel for the BLM - 0,70euro per hole…)

Either your PDF doesn't show the "hidden holes", or I don't see them? What are they good for?

Either your PDF doesn't show the "hidden holes", or I don't see them? What are they good for?

Wilba is using them too. They are drilled from the back, so you dont see them from the front - you can then mount all the components from the back. There are completely white holes and slightly gray holes. The gray ones are the holes from the back - the hidden holes...

do you see them now?

thank you.

Edited by dustdive

With your explanation I was able to spot them :tongue:

I am not sure why you would need all those in the first place? Are you going to push your rubber buttons that hard? Maybe it's a good idea then to mount the PCBs that hold the contact "grids" on a separate frame made from aluminium profile from underneath, and then attach the frame to the front panel. For a front panel that size, you would need a considerable strength anyways to make sure it doesn't flex.

Hi! Nice!

You can also use the JB-Weld + Hex-Spacer method to avoid all those expensive blind holes. Also, phunk does not recommend them (in another thread) as there may be some visible signs on the front side.

It is my impression that you do not need so many of them, 1/4 or even 1/16 of them in the "blm area" is sufficient, especially if the aluminum panel is thick (3mm), as ilmenator said.

Which illuminated tactile switches + button caps will you use?

Edit: forget that question, found the livid instruments website :-)

Best regards,

Peter

Edited by Hawkeye

:-)

thx! These keypads would be good for the classic 16x16 matrix, too, right? (sorry for thread hijacking)

back on thread:

how do you want to realise the switching between 8x16 BLM-mode and the "other sequencer functions" (such as copy/paste, play/stop), which are in the BLM area?

Edited by Hawkeye

:-)

thx! These keypads would be good for the classic 16x16 matrix, too, right? (sorry for thread hijacking)

back on thread:

how do you want to realise the switching between 8x16 BLM-mode and the "other sequencer functions" (such as copy/paste, play/stop), which are in the BLM area?

The livid buttons are really nice, but quite expensive.

But the lividinstruments PCB's are pretty easy to wire...

For the functions in the BLM area there is a SHIFT button - the most right button (Im left-hander...). I put the functions inside the BLM area, for those which only had one function, you can access these with SHIFT+.

For example I thought it was important to give METRONOME a direct button, because the SEQ V4 manual writes : "Press MENU+METRONOME to send an "External Restart" request". This function is still possible to call with two fingers. If METRONOME would have been inside the BLM area, you would have to press MENU+SHIFT+METRONOME.

p.s. thank you for the hint with JB-Weld - I will look at it!

Edited by dustdive

p.s. thank you for the hint with JB-Weld - I will look at it!

I dont think JB-Weld+Hex Spacer, if I understand it right - is an option for the "livid construction". For the button's you have to use the spacer layer's to fix the button's. Then there is less than 6mm left from the buttons and the frontpanel is also 3mm thick. So I dont think this is a solution.

I think I will try the proposal from ilmenator.

A second aluminum panel underneath, where I mount all the stuff.

THANK YOU A LOT!

(I really saved some money.....)

I think I will try the proposal from ilmenator.

A second aluminum panel underneath, where I mount all the stuff.

Actually, I was rather recommending the use of L-shaped aluminium profile. You can easily build a frame from that, and it will be super rigid.

• 4 months later...

After some great hints from ilmenator and Hawkeye I used JB-Weld, Hex spacers and a second panel, where I mounted all the modules, for the construction. I didn't use "hidden holes" or "sacklöcher" on german, and I saved cirka 100€ - thanks! (And this is a much more stable construction)

Now I want to test the ButtonLedMatrix.

I soldered the Livid PCB, with diodes and LED'S and connected everything as described in BLM 16x4-pdf.

I tested my MBHP_CORE_STM32 and the DIN & DOUT module, with some basic tutorials from the TK-king.

I then added to mios32_config.h in /svn/mios32/trunk/apps/controllers/blm_scalar:

#ifndef BLM_SCALAR_NUM_MODULES

#define BLM_SCALAR_NUM_MODULES 1

#endif

#ifndef BLM_SCALAR_NUM_COLOURS

#define BLM_SCALAR_NUM_COLOURS 1

#endif

because I only use one color and one module.

Then I loaded the new compiled blm_scalar hex-file to the STM32.

Because I didn't send any midi-event, the blm_scalar should be in test mode and if I press any button, it's LED should turn on?

But NOTHING.

Is there something basically wrong?

Is there any other program I can run, to test if I have soldered everything right?

thank you for your time!

post-9460-0-95136800-1318602270_thumb.jp

post-9460-0-82092600-1318602285_thumb.jp

Edited by dustdive

Unfortunately that's the wrong schematic for the BLM_Scalar app.

Oh no! I see.....

1. Do you know any application for the "Simple 4x16 Button/LED matrix" described on: manual for SEQV4 hardware options?

2. I have not so much experience in programming - could it be "possible" for me to write a driver for the 4x16-BLM matrix?

3. Have I maybe damaged something, while connecting it to the blm_scalar application?

I doubt you've damaged anything but I wouldn't know for sure.

The 4x16 BLM is actually a part of the SEQv4 app, and the shift registers should be connected to the same core module as your sequencer. This won't work for the 8x16 setup you want though.

It should be possible to code your own BLM driver, have a look at http://svnmios.midibox.org/ for existing apps and examples if you haven't already.

I think the difficult thing will be interfacing the 8x16 BLM with the SEQv4 app. If I recall correctly TK said he wouldn't support sizes other than 16x16.

Ok. I will try to test the 4x16BLM with the SEQV4 app.

I use less standard-buttons, than the original SEQV4 design (because I have integrated some function with SHIFT+"buttons in the matrix") - I will see if I perhaps can squeeze the 8x16 BLM into the SEQV4 core.... :)

Thank you a lot for advices!

Edited by dustdive

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My big problem now is the 4x16 BLM. I have soldered the diode-matrix according to the ucapps BLM schematics with the livid instruments pcb's.

When I load the SEQV4 application everything else is working fine (sd-card connects, displays & GP's are working, etc)

- but no life sign from BLM.

1. I connected the cathodes from the BLM rows to DOUT shift registers without 220 Ohm resistors

2. I connected the anodes from the BLM coloumns to DOUT shift registers for LED's and DIN shift registers for the Buttons.

3. I changed the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file

I tried to do what TK said in but no beep so far...

Do you know any other possibility to test the BLM?

I am grateful for every help.

"...4x16 BLM which was provided by MBSEQ V3..."

Does this mean, that V4 doesn't support the 4x16 BLM?

Actually it is supported, but the design is outdated.

With the 4x16 BLM which is directly connected to the DIN/DOUTs of the core it won't be possible to provide the features of a BLM16x16+X (which is running on a separate core and communicates via MIDI with the MBSEQ V4), therefore this expired solution isn't "promoted" from my side anymore to avoid that somebody things that he gets something which is equivalent.

The configuration of the directly connected 4x16 BLM has to be done in the MBSEQ_HW.V4 file, search for the keyword "BLM"

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I finally got life sign from my BLM.

But then:::.......

While testing the underside of the DIN module which were connected to anodes of the "button-diodes" got contact with conductive material....BIG MISTAKE, I know........

Happily, everything else still works, but I guess the DIN and DOUT-modules which were connected to the BLM are broken..

I hope the BLM is still ok....I will see...

:whistle:

Edited by dustdive