I want to learn programming. Where do I start?

JRock

Is C the most practical? where do I start? I have no idea. figgered this is the best place to ask :sorcerer: I want to be able to write code for PIC and Arduino...

Please give me a little guidance, or point me in the right direction :flowers:

He he he :blush:

No. That certainly wasn't hard.

But of course I already googled. :angel:

There is so much infos out there.

Guess I'll check out Beginning C Programming :laugh:

Thanks

Did you write that little program? Very Cute.

In C?

Is that the way to go? C? This is all alien to me.

@JRock: I recently asked nILS the same question. He said, don't buy a book, start coding. He's probably so short-sentenced, because countless people ask the same question over and over again. A friend of mine told me, that the sample code for the Arduino is super understandable and a good way to learn coding because it gives you a quick feeling of sucess.

Lucky me, I was able to avoid coding so far. :sweat: Hopefully I'll stay lucky for a long time :D

Arduino is a good start for getting used to C coding structure, data types, registers and hardware programming. Its also helps deal with the concept of code abstraction layers.

MIOS8 and MIOS32 are both abstraction layers that handle common routines on top of the specific platform architecture. Since TK does a pretty amazing job at abstracting routines in the MIOS, most of your custom programming with be with MIOS routines. So it's pretty safe to go that far without having to dive to deep into the platform specific architecture. Then again, you can always go deeper. :whistle:

If you're planning on doing MIOS8 programming though, you might have to get into some ASM, whereas the MIOS32 is all C++.

C/C++ also transposes well into Java and C# if your going to extend your knowledge, as they are similar coding styles. Albeit targeted to different platforms.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. Yeah. I figgered the best way would be to dive in to it.

That's why I was thinking C... cause I can learn the different easier stuff once I have a basis for it.

I guess today is the day. I haven't been able to concentrate cause the weather is so nice. Today it's cloudy so I have no excuses. :rolleyes:

I have a some schematics to layout, then Coding it is :thumbsup:

A bit more verbose: Don't buy a book. Look at other people's code (preferrably code with lots of comments) try to understand it, if sth is unclear, google or ask in the chat (real-time support, hooray), pick tiny/small ideas and try to implement them.

Look at other people's code (preferrably code with lots of comments) try to understand it, if sth is unclear, google or ask
+1

exemple mios8 section on the website is good too

http://www.ucapps.de/mios8_c.html

PS : arduino comes after as there is only C++ tons of codes or only pseudo C code (no .h )

Edited by julienvoirin